Siemens STARTER and routing ethernet / profibus.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

I am trying to figure out how to connect STARTER v4.1 to MM4 on a customers site.
I want to install STARTER on the customers PC, and then connect from the PC via ethernet to the 319-3PN/DP PLC, and further via the PLCs DP port to the MM4's DP module.
In other words, there is only STARTER at the customers site, no STEP7 or Simatic Net software.

I have followed a Siemens FAQ on how to setup everything.
I have figured out the part of adding a PG/PC Station to the project, and this PG/PC Station must represent the PC with STARTER.

But what I cannot figure out is how to specify the routing path in STARTER. The FAQ from Siemens seems to assume that STARTER is opened from the STEP7 project, and somehow it gets the routing information that way.
In the dialog in STARTER for making the online connection, I can specify the DP or IP for the direct connection, but nothing about routing (i.e. --> IP=192.168.1.10 // DP=6 for example).
In the help in STARTER there is zero about routing, except for this:
The S7ONLINE selection is the key to the TIA integration. It enables communication to be established via the system network specified in the project, e.g. via PROFINET/PROFIBUS/MPI, with all directly connected drives, with connected controllers and, with the use of the S7 routing, even to the subordinate drives connected to these controllers. Prerequisite is that routing is possible to the nodes
I am not on the customers site, and am not planning on going there, so I hope that it can be done by me making a guide for the endcustomer and our service people.

I think that I have possibly found it.

When a drive project is created, right-click on the drive and select Target Device .. Online Access, and then select the Module Adresses tab. There the Acessible via network transition must be set, and a new dialog for 1st Gateway appears.

The secret word was "gateway". Another example of Siemens calling the same thing by at least 2 names.

Hmmm...

A new complication. It seems that the "ethernet address" to specify must be the MAC adress of the CPU.

Does that mean that the access point has to be set to Ethernet(ISO) ?
From that follows that the PG/OC Station also has to be set to Ethernet(ISO).
Ethernet(TCP/IP) cannot be used ?