OT: Level Transducer VS Radar

J E

I'm curious if anyone has experience with measuring oil level in tanks with both transducers and free-space radar. What are the pluses and minuses of each method? We have had trouble with low reflectivity in oil in the past, but we're being told the technology has improved.

Our system will consist of tanks varying from 20-50 ft with a broad range of oil products.

I use the Siemens Sitrans ultrasonoc and they work great. The only problem that I have had is with foam. To correct that I installed a tube down the center of the tank and the transmotter reads through that.

I have used a few different radars, some ultrasonics, & pressure transducers. The pressure transducers are what I like the best with a consistent Density. Once the density changes you either need to take samples of it and use that as a multiplier or go with a level. Some of the ultrasonics can like you said have a absorption affect that can make you crazy. The Radar on a rope that measures time of flight will also vary with the density as well.
I would look at Lasers.

KISS

Unless there is a reason that pressure transducers won't do the job, stick with them. Readilay available, simple to install, inexpensive, and reliable.

Thanks for the input. It looks like we will go with pressure. It's probably a case of us just being more comfortable with them, but I am personally happy with the decision.

happy with radar

I’m using Omart Vega radar here with powders, whole grain and liquids and having no issues, very happy with the reliability. They see thru dust with the powders and foam with the liquids. They have eliminated the issues we were having with ultisonic probes.
(y)