Secure Remote/Web Access to ControlLogix

AndrewB

Hi all.
Got a job I have been asked to look at. But I'm no sure whats the best way to tackle it...

I have several tags i need to display & be able to change on a computer anywhere in the world... (its ip address may change).

This needs to be secure.

I have a corporate network, with a firewall to my industrial ethernet which has the plc on it....

I have RSview SE distributed looking at the PLC now..

any ideas???
could i make a page on one client and use a modem to use pcanywhere or something?

A remote control application will certainly be involved. Your experience and requirements will dictate whether it's something commercial (GoToMyPC or PCAnywhere or VNC) or something Microsoft (Terminal Server or Remote Desktop).

The connection method I usually see is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) between your remote PC someplace and the network that's in the facility.

Start investigating with the firewall and learn if it has VPN capabilities built into it.

I completly agree. Been thinking about this heaps in the last few hrs. We have some serious datalogging to do as well for the same mob that want access to some tags....

Current plan is:
Install another server running MSsql server for the datalogging.
Have some sort of front end for them to interogate the SQL database.
Run a RW RSview SE client on this server with a cut down page just for them.
VPN them in to this (firewall can do this)

Remote access of a few tags.

Well, the most secure way to do this is to have your IT folks setup a VPN connection for you and then use a web-launched HMI system. We set this up all the time for many of our customers. To do this we use Inductive Automation software.