Fusing of signal conditioners?

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a job that involves 20 signal conditioners (voltage and amperage to 4-20mA)...

Should I fuse the 24vdc power to each one? I would prefer groups of 5.
Never really had a signal conditioner short out....

I generally fuse the signal lines to remote field transmitters. Fusing, or circuit breakers, on the power supply itself should be sufficient. I don't see an advantage for protecting each conditioner individually.

If you are meaning the signals coming from the line, then I personally would fuse them in groups by module or section.

If you mean the 24 volts powering the signal conditioner - I never fuse those, a bad signal conditioner taking down the entire panel 24 volts is something I have never come across in 35 years of doing this

Not saying it is impossible, just not plausible enough to justify another bank of fuses and double the wiring

Thanx guys...
As I suspected, they are rarely individually fused. (I have never had one "short" in many years)
I will still fuse in groups of 5.

Last edited:
I would put them on each individual signal conditioner. I fuse everything individually in my panels. They SHOULD never fail but, since I'm not directly paying for the parts and it could reduce downtime to have a maintenance guy see a red LED on the exact fuse holder he needs to pay attention to. That keeps me in bed longer at night and downtime to a minimum.... all equals more uptime and happier bosses.

Id rather have one RTD fail on my freezer than all five. Could be the difference between running or not running!

Id rather have one RTD fail on my freezer ...

Why would you need a freezer in Halifax? I was up in Moncton, New Brunswick years back and I didn't feel the need for any type of refrigeration during the trip; 450,000 BTU space heaters - yes.