Assigned an IP address to panel view but disappear after restart

backendcode

Hello Experts,

I have a question, I am programming AB HMI and i assigned an IP address yesterday, but when I came to work this morning and grabbed my HMI to work on it, there was no IP address to my HMI.

That's how I assigned the IP address

Terminal setting --> Networks and communications -->Network connections -->Network adapters --> Ip address --> Use DHCP (NO) and then put my terminal an IP address, subnet Mask and gateway, pressed OK, got message about about reset the device to have the new settings tale effects so I did that.

Here is the pic,

https://ibb.co/k7erwz

Any idea why panel view couldn't hold the IP address?

But when I go back to terminal setting to assign the IP address, I can see the IP address there but can't see on main setting screen (As you can see in pic above) and I can't even ping the device.

Thank you for the help,

Regards,

Last edited:
reset the device to have the new settings tale effects

Did you just cycle power, or did you use a menu function to perform a reset ?

Are you 100% confident that you had an IP and Subnet Mask and Default Gateway that were compatible (i.e. the IP and Gateway addresses were on the same logical Subnet) ?

Guess #1 is that if you used a menu, the reset feature you chose also reset the terminal settings to default, rather than simply performing a warm or cold boot. I don't have that generation of PV+ handy to see which menu items do what.

Guess #2 is that the terminal saw a type with incompatible IP/Subnet/Gateway and decided to clear the settings and let you sort it out.

While it's possible that your terminal has an OS bug that I'm unaware of, it would be far down the list. Failing nonvolatile memory that is not diagnosed or detected is not a common thing in modern embedded systems.

Hey Ken,
I did the reset using menu button. However, I tried the different Ethernet cable and I can see the IP address now.

Quick question, when I don't connect Ethernet cable to my PV+, the IP address disappear!! Just wondering why? I should be able to see the IP address of my panel view regardless of Ethernet cable connected to panel view + or no? right?

Thank you for the help and input. Much appreciated

Regards,

The address is not disappearing, the PanelView displaying 0.0.0.0 is "normal" when the Ethernet cable is not connected, unfortunately.

Hi all, i know it's a while since this thread but I am experiencing similar.
I have set the IP address, Subnet & Gateway manually, then tried both resetting the HMI from the screen itself and by cycling power.
I have replaced the ethernet cable, the ethernet switch but still the HMI is not connecting to the network and shows 0.0.0.0 for the IP address and 0.0.0.0 for the Subnet on the main config screen.

Is there anything else that can be checked?
I am thinking it could be the ethernet port itself, as I have noticed the ethernet port is mis-shaped and looks to have had the cable pulled when it was at a customers site.

Can you try starting the Rockwell DHCP/BootP server utility, to see if the HMI is requesting an IP address? Maybe the procedure you are using is not assigning the correct IP initialization method. Once you successfully set an IP address, you can use RSLinx to set the IP initialization to fixed IP address.

Hi all, i know it's a while since this thread but I am experiencing similar.
I have set the IP address, Subnet & Gateway manually, then tried both resetting the HMI from the screen itself and by cycling power.
I have replaced the ethernet cable, the ethernet switch but still the HMI is not connecting to the network and shows 0.0.0.0 for the IP address and 0.0.0.0 for the Subnet on the main config screen.

Is there anything else that can be checked?
I am thinking it could be the ethernet port itself, as I have noticed the ethernet port is mis-shaped and looks to have had the cable pulled when it was at a customers site.
Jazzy, were you ever able to find a fix for this problem?