WW Alarm DB Logger Manager + MSDE 2000

LogicON

I have a Intouch application on a Windows XP Prof SP3 PC.
I want to use wonderware Alarm DB Logger Manager to log historial alarms.
In order to do this Alarm DB Logger Manager needs to connect to a server. I don't have a server so I installed MSDE 2000 on the PC hoping it would see itself as a server.
The SQL server service Manager is running and identifies the server as the PC name.
However in the Alarm DB Logger Manager the server Name is not available. I have tried typing 'local' into the Server name field and pressing 'Test Connection' but had no success.

Has anyone any ideas to overcome this issue.

Hi,

probably MSDE is installed as a named instance, i believe you can see the name in configuration panel\administrative tools\services.
use [computername]\[instancename] for accessing the server.
Also check that port 1433 is not blocked by some personal-firewall (norton internet security or else) - shouldn't be running on a ww-client anyway...

HTH
Johannes

Will WW allow connections through ODBC? If so, you can set up a system level ODBC driver to connect to the Database. It could just be a matter of permissions as well.

For what it's worth, Microsoft has SQL Server Express 2008 available for free, which lifts many of the restrictions that were present on SQL Server MSDE editions.