Omron KEEP (HR xx) instruction

Hello All,

Omron PLC KEEP instruction using an HR (holding Relay) memory address will hold information even when power to the PLC was off.

This is very useful for batch processing operation, for example, when no. of cycle and processing time is critical and can restart (of course not auto restart) the operation from where it stop due to power failure.

I am just sharing my experience.

Best regards,

Vic Jasareno

Data Memories (registers) also hold their value, unless you write "0s" into them.

Most PLCs have these functions available. For example, in Mitsubishi you set up the register memory retentive area you wish to use. The remainder of the register area is then not memory retentive. Very usefull.

beerchug

It's not necessary to use the set/reset KEEP(11) function to use the retentive (HR) bits. The HR area is retentive, period. It will 'remember' its state even if a simple latch is used.

| WHATEVER HR0100
|-----] [------+------------( OUT )
| |
| HR0100 |
|-----] [------+

Correct me if I'm wrong, Bob. It's been a LOOOONG time since I've used an Omron... :D

beerchug

-Eric

You eventually might want to unlatch HR0100 though...

heh heh heh ! :D

WHATEVER WHEN EVER HR0100
----[ ]--------+---[/]--------( )
|
HR0100 |
----[ ]--------+

Look out!!! The Wombat woke up momentarily. No doubt gone back to
:oops:

16.gif

Badly worded Pierre, should have read unless you write another value into them, such as "0s" into channels that contain numbers other than "0s". Old age catching up, that's my excuse.

16.gif

Eric,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think HR0100 below (assuming it's current state is 1) will reset to state 0 during first scan. This is one reason for using the KEEP instruction.

WHATEVER WHEN EVER HR0100
-------[ ]---------+--------[/]------------( )
|
HR0100 |
-------[ ]---------+

Best regards,

Vic Jasareno

Last edited:
The HR area retains its last known state ...therefore in the diagram HR100.00 will imediatley latch it self ON assuming that the WHENEVER is OFF upon power up.

If this config used a standard IO for example internal relay 200.00 in lieu of HR100.00, then indeed it would be reset upon power up.

Bobb.....
Old age catching up, that's my excuse.
It passed you a while ago .... :p

Vic,

As long as the n/o contact (when ever) do not have a transition HR0100 remains its state 1 in the first scan.

By the way, keep or set/reset instruction is to maintain the last state during a power disruption of the PLC.

A holding relay (HR) bit or channel will not reset itself on the first scan unless the ladder logic tells it to. You would have to use the first scan flag to reset it on the first scan.

If, however, the ladder logic tells it to reset, it will reset on the second scan.

Oh, lookout, Sleepy has woken up again, temporarily.

16.gif