What cable/hardware is needed to connect to a GE 90-30 controller?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

A client has an existing pump house with a GE 90-30 PLC controlling things. I need to connect to it and extract the code and tags from the controller, but I've never connected to a 90-30, only the RX3i. The client has an adapter that goes from the 15 pin dsub on the controller to a 9 pin, so I'm assuming it's a serial connection of some sort. But is anything, other than a serial-to-USB connector needed? Is there some sort of proprietary interface box or anything like that?

Thanks for any help!

If they already have the RS485/RS232 adapter with no cable, the cable is a 9-pin female both ends with pin-to-pin connections, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc although all you really need is 2-2, 3-3, 5-5. There are some models of adapters with the cable included which is designed to plug into a typical RS232 serial port or serial/USB adapter.
Simply extracting the program from the PLC will not get the rung comments and tag descriptions. They are not stored in 90-30 memory like they are in the Rx3i. If the customer has a backup copy of the program with annotation first open that and then pull the program from the PLC if it turns out not equal.

If they already have the RS485/RS232 adapter with no cable

Exactly that; it's an adapter but no cable, it's 15 pin male to 9 pin male.

the cable is a 9-pin female both ends with pin-to-pin connections, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc although all you really need is 2-2, 3-3, 5-5.

OK cool, so between a path-thru (i.e., not a null modem) cable and appropriate gender adapters, I should be able to connect.

There are some models of adapters with the cable included which is designed to plug into a typical RS232 serial port or serial/USB adapter.

I have seen those on Amazon, seems like a convenient cable but since I already have what I need, I'll consider buying one for future projects but doesn't sound like I need one for this project.

Simply extracting the program from the PLC will not get the rung comments and tag descriptions. They are not stored in 90-30 memory like they are in the Rx3i. If the customer has a backup copy of the program with annotation first open that and then pull the program from the PLC if it turns out not equal.

Damn! Just like Scadapacks. Doesn't sound like the client has a back up of the software. I do know who assembled the panel so I can contact them and ask, but with an assembled date of 2003 who knows what may or may not be available.

Thanks for the help, especially the note about how 90-30s don't store comments and tag names...that's good to know now, before I connect to the PLC.