Finding Serial and Key of preexisting Studio 5000 install

prgrmmr

I have a laptop that has a preexisting Studio 5000 EVRSI activation but I have no way of contacting the previous owner to get the key and serial of the activation. Is there a way to dig through the registry and find that information? I don't want to end up in the situation where I burn a paid for activation and have to give AB any more of my money. I already paid for someone's yacht over there.

The serial number is in the help menu:

HELP / ABOUT = Serial # & Activation Drive

The only place the product key would be is on the package the original disks came in.

To install RS/Studio5K you only need the serial number. If you need to download the installation programs from Rockwell you can select the Product Key drop down and select [Company / Purchaser] Name if you know the full name they registered the purchase to.

Studio 5000 is never EVRSI Activated...

Hi & Welcome to the Forum!

prgrmmr said:
...I already paid for someone's yacht over there

"I am currently out of office, on my Yacht, until the wind changes. For urgent enquiries, please consult the PLCTalk.net Forum, thank you." :p

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

prgrmmr said:
I have a laptop that has a preexisting Studio 5000 EVRSI activation...

If the product truly was/is Studio 5000 from the time of original purchase, then it could never have been an EVRSI activation (older master disk).

Since RSLogix 5000 v20, and all versions of Studio 5000 since (v21 and above), only FactoryTalk Activation may be used to activate these versions of the product. All previous versions of RSLogix 5000 from v10-v17 support both the older EVRSI and newer FactoryTalk Activation options.

However, since 2011, the ability to activate these "dual support" products using EVRSI was withdrawn. So, even if you have the installation media for say, RSLogix 5000 v17, and have the Master Disk, Serial Number and Product Key, you can no longer reactivate this product using the EVRSI option. You must now use FactoryTalk Activation.

If this is a case where originally an EVRSI activated version of RSLogix 5000 was installed on the laptop, but now you want to install Studio 5000 and use this Activation, it will not work. Studio 5000 will always look to FactoryTalk Activation in order to activate itself.

Perhaps you are just mistakenly calling this is an EVRSI activation because you don't know any different?

If it truly is an older EVRSI activation that is still in use on this machine, then you would have to contact Rockwell directly to convert it to a FactoryTalk Activation. Even if you don't have the original Master Disk, but you know the EVRSI activation is present and working on this machine, they should be able to help you convert it.

Or what TheWaterboy says :)

Regards,
George

All the yachts are coming out of the lake in the next couple of weeks. Now the lunchroom can't seem to shut up about bow season for elk, so maybe you're buying Jeep accessories and blaze-orange knit caps.

If this is an old EVRSI activation, you should be able to use the EVRESET utility to see the serial number of the activation. Don't be scared of the name; you just click CANCEL after it shows you the serial number.

Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> Utilities -> Reset Activation (32 bit)

That's if it's truly an old EVRSI activation. Those didn't have anything but the hidden activation file and an associated Serial Number.

If you've got a FactoryTalk activation, I can't effectively discuss the newest variants with CodeMeter and all that jazz, but an ordinary FactoryTalk Activation with a real License file can find the License file storage location just by running the FT Activation Manager. The License file contains the serial number in plaintext.

If you are in fact dealing with a new v31 or v32 installation of Studio 5000 or you're actually asking for the key that was used to activate a purchase, then you're going to have to actually talk to Rockwell.

I'm unaware of any policy changes that would make activation support a paid service, but of course invalid, inactive, expired, or counterfeit activations are not eligible for support of their related products.