HMI Remote Access Red lion CR3000

heyheyron

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to set up a CR3000 to be viewed from from any where in the world. I am able to view the HMI locally (across my companies network) by typing in the machines IP address to my internet browser.

So how can I set my HMI to be able to viewed from anywhere globally?

Any time I type in the IP address in the same manner my browser is unable to find it.

Current Settings:

I have my IP address manually configured: to x
The network mask is: 255.255.255.0
The gateway is the IP address of my work laptop (I am attempting to port forward from my laptop, so by pass my offices network, It does not allow for an incoming connection. So I am trying to drive the HMI with my phones hot-spot and remotely see it from my work computer).

I only have the one network protocol which is Raw TCP/IP:
IP Address is set to that of the HMI
TCP Port is: Default
Keep Alive Disabled:

The PLC system I am using is connected via CAN.

Web server is enabled:
Transport Protocol is : TCP-HTTP
Connect via Port: 80

What am I doing wrong?
Any help is greatly appreciated it.

It is a problem when us simple electricians have to become Internet 'experts', but that is where we are.

Web search for 'Local IP versus External IP' and read a lot.

Search here for 'Remote Access' and read a lot.

Web search for 'M2M remote access', and you guessed it, read a lot.

It is a problem when us simple electricians have to become Internet 'experts', but that is where we are.

Web search for 'Local IP versus External IP' and read a lot.

Search here for 'Remote Access' and read a lot.

Web search for 'M2M remote access', and you guessed it, read a lot.

You have to start somewhere. The risk though as we going through this "convergence" deal is one can unintentionally expose control equipment to the internet. I mean, we can teach OP to just use a home router, set up some routing and bang! it's done but that's also very dangerous as it would be found within minutes by industrial device scanner.

So, I would say to the OP that this is a very very bad idea. You need to use proper protection through a VPN. Just search for "industrial VPN" here and you will see quite a bit of discussions on products to use.

We use these:

https://www.automationdirect.com/stride/stridelinx/vpn-router

They're easy to set up and allow me to provide remote access for our customers to their Red Lion HMIs. They also allow me to access PLC networks so that I can remotely monitor and program PLCs and other devices.

I just use the Stridlinx app on my phone or a webpage from a computer to securely access them.

There are other devices and even some that are less expensive. But, my time is expensive and we'd rather just purchase the simplicity and security rather than invest a ton of time becoming IT experts so we could configure some other solution.