Iec 61131 plc suggestion

aec

Hi all ,
Being fresh in this field my boss came and gave me some list of requirements and asked to select a PLC for that project .
Untill now I have been selecting PLC based on the number of inputs and outputs now this looks like a big project . I am afraid of making mistakes . Here I have no seniors or person with knowledge in PLC .
Untill now I have done only one project with delta plc . And my second project is with allen bradley which I am learning from these forum from different posts and still it is in process.
After getting this requirements list I am afraid I need ur help also suggestions . I will attach the list and post my question .
View attachment PLC REQUIREMENTS.doc

Last edited:
my questions are ,

1- iec 61131 is for programming is'nt it ??????

I could see that rslogix is iec 61131 certified .

iec 61131 is for the PLC or its software ???????

on reading these requirements , doubts or overflowing from my mind . Rather than asking all I will ask one which I thing will solve most of my doubts.

What are the factors to be consider for this project for selecting a PLC?
According to me is it not enough that we select a PLC based on these requirements (for this project ) :

v IEC 61131 certified
v Number of inputs and outputs
v Power supplies
v Communication ports( 2 rj-45 , 1 rs-232 ,rs-485 )
And all others I think it depends upon programming like for example
The points under PLC requirements (2, 3,6,9,10)
Or these question should be asked to the PLC provider or is it the programmer should select the PLC .
How will a programmer know which manufacturer has these features.
My job is programming and I could I know which PLC will exactly suit these requirements?????
Because I am fresh in this field ??? I browsed for iec 61131 supported PLC in ab website and I got gaurdlogix is it correct . How will I know it is correct????
The programming philosophy looks simple but this selecting PLC is what I am afraid of .
Please advice me. Please correct me and help me to learn .

IEC 61131 is a language used by a lot of PLC manufacturers.

for example Codesys is 61131 compliant.
codesys is free to simulate (only buy when programming is done.)

can not read your requirements.
you have many choices.
look at www.3s-software.com for exaMPLE.

IEC 61131 is a standard that defines the programming languages that a PLC may have available in the programming software. Per wikipedia:

"IEC 61131-3 currently defines five programming languages for programmable control systems: function block diagram (FBD), ladder diagram (LD), structured text (ST; similar to the Pascal programming language), instruction list (IL; similar to assembly language) and sequential function chart (SFC)."

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller ]

Note that to be compliant a PLC doesn't have to have all of these languages, just one of them. There are also (I think) minumum requirements for the commands and functions available in each language.

The intent at one point was to make programming portable between PLC brands and to provide a uniform interface for programming different brands. The standard has failed miserably on both counts, and now being compliant doesn't mean much at all. I'd be surprised if you found a major brand of PLC that wasn't claiming to conform to the standard!

Last edited:
Again, there is a difference between a specification and a standard

IEC 61131 is a standard that defines the programming languages that a PLC may have available in the programming software

So far calling IEC 61131-3 a standard is just marketing hype.
When one can exchange code between a Siemens and Rockwell PLC then there will be standard. Copying text code may be possible with ST but ST doesn't even come standard with the PLCs or there development software.