Using Computer to Control Real World

riyajahamad

How to get started to learn Using Computer to Control Real world
( Input Outputs ) Anybody know the web pages related to this ???
Thansk in advance.

PLC

PLC is a computer whose hardware and operating system are optimized for the real world control. In case that you are talking about PC based control look at the Steeplechase software, AB's Soft Logix PLC and "Think and Do". These Companies offer software packages that
emulate the PLC functionality on a Windows based PC.

Real world. This can be an exciting subject just by trying to define what is real world. It depends on what you are trying to do.

Here is a web sight for National Instrument. There are some tutorials that may help.

You have to remember that getting into this type of equipment requires a lot of skills and knowledge.

http://www.ni.com/

ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã

1- Use www.google.com as your search engine.

2- Keywords :

- PC based control

- Data acquistion cards

- Data acquistion system

- RS232

and there are many terms that you will recognize in your search

3- and of course donot forget to put one of these important words beside the keyword ( overview - fundamentals - basics - application note - pdf )

4- Some useful sites :

www.omega.com

www.ni.com

www.adlink.com

Last edited:
PC based control system components:

1-Measuring devices ( tempreture – Pressure – flow .. )
These measuring devices should “transmitte” electrical signal in proportional to the measuring values.
Standard : 0-10 volt , 4-20 mA ...etc ( those called Analoge inputs)

And you may simply want to know the “state”not the "value" of something
Examples:
Does the bottle here or not ?
Does the tempreture exceeds 50 degree or not .. generally a binary choice ( those called digital inputs)

2- How does the computer understand these electrical signals ?
Actually you have two major alternatives :
A- Using Data acquisition plug in cards. ( Visit www.ni.com and www.adlink.com )
B- Using Remote terminal units that speak with the computer through comport (serial) (visit www.advantec.com and adlink’s site)

Note: In many times you will have to “Condition the signal” to meet your hardware specs.

3- Now the computer get the data , How can you use it (analysis – storing – visulaizing .. etc)
You will have to use a software for this and you have here to alternatives:
A-Ready made software.
B-Develop your own ( my fave ) using a high level programmong language (e.g visual basic 6 , LabVIEW )

4-The computer will take some actions according to data measured (as you programmed it) and it will use the same devices that mentioned in the point number 2 and the output is also standard (0-10 v) , (4-20mA).. etc which called analoge outputs and also digital outputs

5- Finally, these electical signals will be applied to a “Final control element” such as an on/off valve , contactor to run a motor .. (digital outputs)

and the analoge outputs for sending set points , controlling an actuator ...etc

I hope i could helped you ..

Ayman Metwally

Last edited:
First I thanks to ayman metwally & those who replied, excellent reply.
I will try that. Can any one have these kind of application. Basically I want to measure load,torque, temperature, angle and displacment and want to record and anyalise these things.