Ideas

SmithCD

I'm toying with the idea of writing a SCADA text book aimed at engineers new to the automation industry. I propose covering topics such as VB & C Script development, object animation, communications drivers, interfacing to databases such as Oracle and SQL Server. I envisage showing examples using WinCC and Intouch possibly IFix but I've not checked with Siemens,Wonderware or GEFanuc to ask if that would be a problem. I would like to invite members to put forward their ideas as to what they would like to be covered in such a book.

* Basics of screen layout (unrolling, system views vs mechanical layout views, spacing and screen navigation)
* Principles of visual clarity and intelligibility (using elements of internet page layout, and many examples
* Selecting the APPROPRIATE level of visualisation (why SCADA? Why touch panel? Why numeric keypad?) and outlaying
* Local control vs centralized control: determing appropriate control level. Compare machine vs distributed system.
* Using pop-ups effectively
* Access control and physical security
* Network security/isolation and remote access, good practice
* library of common symbols for process and manufacturing industries (appendix)
* colour coding principles and practice, international and domestic standards
* Deal in detail with the best practices for buttons with feedback, visual differentiation, design for potentially colourblind employees, indicators, using animations intelligently
* Integration of SCADA into business level systems
* PLC software design for easy and functional SCADA integration - minimising data transfer pressures on processors, writing software such that the interface can be largely completed without needing full code completion
* Trending and data storage - regulations, rules, relevancy
* Recipe management for security and process validation
* DCS vs SCADA

And amongst all this:
* Tricks and tips. Minimising tag count for platforms that use tag number licencing schemes, or the pros and cons of different platforms

Let me know if you want any contributions!

If I ever see you in a bar I'll buy you a beer. Thanks so much I'll keep you informed of developments.

No worries, there seems to be a bit of a gap in the market when it comes to general-purpose references for that subject.

Last September Binauras wrote

A common problem in animating transport pipes is the number of options you have to consider in order to animate the pipes correctly. For instance, a system with 2 source vessels, 3 destination vessels and 1 pump with a few divert valves has an enormous number of possible combinations to animate so most do not bother. However, this is a really common request from operators, especially in complicated plants with many sources and destinations and lots of pipework..”

I believe that the problem mentioned deserves to be discussed in your book.

Thanks

Definitely worth mentioning a pipe example. It's really not that difficult. Simply base the state at each point on a simple combination (expression) from its immediate inputs. In other words, define pipe segments in terms of each other. This may take using local variables, but greatly simplifies the number of combinations.

Last September Binauras wrote

A common problem in animating transport pipes is the number of options you have to consider in order to animate the pipes correctly. For instance, a system with 2 source vessels, 3 destination vessels and 1 pump with a few divert valves has an enormous number of possible combinations to animate so most do not bother. However, this is a really common request from operators, especially in complicated plants with many sources and destinations and lots of pipework..”

I believe that the problem mentioned deserves to be discussed in your book.

Thanks

Hello,
when you want a HMI to connect with one or more PLC's you also need to configure I/O servers or DA servers for the data aquisition (by example Siemens & Intouch WonderWare). Just a tip. Greetz

Two issues that seem to come up a lot are scripting and communications protocols. A clear explanation of what networks are proprietary, what are public domain, and why all ethernet devices won't talk to each other would be helpful.