Looking for a job in oil and gas, anyone?

I work offshore; however, I got here with loads of experience, mostly in PLCs and HMIs. My first job? I got sent to a pneumatic operated platform, and I had NO FREAKIN' IDEA what it was.

You learn, you adapt, you make do. In the PLC and automation side, it's nearly impossible to get in with no experience. I am on my "second career" as an IE Tech. I still do PLC and HMI, but also working with instrumentation. Some companies might hire a "PLC assistant", or something similar. Look on Rigzone. The company I work for might even have something like that. (Wood Group - hires and operates worldwide) Even if a job isn't listed, apply for one, or simply call up somebody. They need people in Oil and gas like crazy. Everybody wants high paying land jobs, and offshore is having a shortage of personnel.

You might not get to Asia, but I believe there is a IE opening over there right now; people sometimes simply have enough, and don't go back.
28/28 is a long time to be away. I would do it right now, but I'm not able.

Hi Tomalbright, first of all thank you for sharing your relevent experience the way you did. It's a good eye opener.

Just to clarify what is an "IE Tech" ? I googled it but nothing came up... only E & I, would that be the same thing (Electrical & Instrumentation) ? Sorry for my lack of knowledge...

Would you advise that I take my certification even I do not have any experience in the field, would that be a lost of money?

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Even as a trainee?

So far Ken and Bulzi mentionned Alberta and North Dakota. That's good to know.

What about Singapore or Asia in general, any thoughts on that?

yes even as a trainee. Most of the trainees and field hands will be nationals(depending on the country) or cheap labor from india or the philippines. Most of the people from the US or UK or Canada will be experienced people used to oversee the jobs. These companies arent gonna spend big money when they can pick up an indian guy to work for 10 bucks a day(thats a generous number actually) to do the grunt work.

Singapore is an Oil & Gas Hub for Asia

Even as a trainee?

So far Ken and Bulzi mentionned Alberta and North Dakota. That's good to know.

What about Singapore or Asia in general, any thoughts on that?

Singapore’s role as a major player in many sectors of the oil & gas industry is well established. For example, Singapore is recognised as the world’s leading centre for the conversion of tankers into Floating Production Storage and Offloading vessels (FPSOs) and Floating Storage and Offloading vessels (FSOs). It has been reported that Singapore has a 70% worldwide market share of FPSO conversions and jack-up rig construction as well as a strong refining industry. Singapore is commonly regarded as South East Asia’s oil & gas hub. [source : internet]

There are many Oil and Gas company in here and Many opportunity here too. If you want to know what they demanding in Oil and Gas industry, you can give a try by using job search engine or recruitment firm.

Thank you MOez.

I heard that NOV (National Oilwell Varco) takes a lot of trainee. Have you heard of them?

Sorry if you are not in oil and gas, I do not know your background. I am just taking a chance to ask you.

I am not Singaporian, so I don't know if they would hire me in Singapore. Possibly I would say...
I will do as you said and inquire using job search engine or recruitment firm.

Cheers.

Many foreigner are working here especially in Oil & Gas, Marine FPSO conversion and Rig. yeah NOV, SBM, MODEC, FMC, BH SeaDrill and etc have internship programs on All not only for local (not much interested in O&G too), and after that they will relocate around the world. In Oil & Gas, they will never let you work alone without Knowledge, process & Senior of course SAFETY. After finish training in office, they will let you work at least 1 year under supervision of Experienced Engineer. so let give it try after change your Search Engine location to Singapore.

by the way, i am working in FPSO conversion.

Following your recommendation, I've inquire with about 15 recruiting companies located or having an office in Singapore such as Hays, Swift, Fast Stream, Spencer Ogden etc.

I've asked information about requirements but none reply in details. They all ask for a copy of my Resume then, I get the usual reply: "We don't see anything at the moment that suits your profile, we'll keep you updated."

I offer my service as an "ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN
TRAINEE" I don't know if that's a good idea (??)

TomalBright mentionned "IE Tech" as job type for which there is a lot of demand. I would be interested to know where I could get a training to build a profile to suit that job title.

MOez said:
by the way, i am working in FPSO conversion

That's good. What is your academic and experience background?

Much appreciated.

IE Tech = Instrument & Electronics Technician. They usually start out by learning how to be an Electrician, then take more courses and get some experience.

I learned on the job. I have had no official training in instrumentation. Electrical is fairly easy for IE Techs - IF you don't run wire! Troubleshooting up to 480V systems is fairly easy. You have to use some common sense, and always use adequate safety procedures. We have an electrician here that refuses to push the trip switch on big breakers. He has been an electrician for years, but doesn't have the comfort level to do some tasks. I have no problem pressing buttons on NEWER equipment.

Personally I like to say that I am a "Big I, little e" technician. There is room for IE techs, even inexperienced. If you can learn as you go, there is hope. Take the "trainee" thing off your application. No one hires trainees. In an interview you can say what your experience is, and what you lack. Honesty will get you far. Most employers want an employee that isn't a "know it all", and will learn on the job. That's a good position to be in; your employer knows you are willing to learn "their way" and continue in the job, hopefully for a long time.

ETA: I heard through the grapevine that I may get an "assistant". I have no idea what he will do. I like being a one man show. There IS room out there. Apply!

On the job experience beats a course any day of the week. Each company will have procedures that match or reflect the latest electrical code. Keep in mind, if you want to work on PLC systems, or instrumentation, stay away from electrical. The more you learn on the instrumentation side, how it connects, and what your PLC controls, you will actually gain some experience with electricity.

The course you referenced will get you some background as an electrician, but there again, you would start out as a very low paid apprentice. I'd stay away from that.

A course in Electronics would benefit you more than a course in wiring. Instrumentation is all about taking a physical measurement and converting it to something the PLC can understand. Understanding how that conversion works is a large benefit.

the instrumentation side, how it connects, and what your PLC controls, you will actually gain some experience with electricity

Thank you tomalbright. I believe an introduction to Control such as Control Systems and Automation or Distributed Control Systems are valuable for an IE tech job or are am I far off?

It's hard for me to find anything about the core of and IE tech job on Google, do you have anything that could be valuable as a starting point, like keywords?

A course in Electronics would benefit you more than a course in wiring.

Thank you Clay B., that makes a lot of sense. An electrical course would address wiring more than modern control devices and such, I didn't think of that. Cheers

Hello everybody, I hope you are well.

Just as a general information...

For a newly graduate, which of the following certification has a better potential for hiring without prior working experience in the oil and gas sector?

1. HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering
2. HNC Instrumentation and Control Engineering

Much appreciated.