3 phase dynamic breakibg

Oompas

I have a 3ph 600 volt 5hp motor running a grinder. It takes roughly 5 minutes to stop when the stop button is pressed. I'm looking to wire up dynamic braking to stop the motor much quicker. What's size resisters should I use? Which wattage?

After power is removed the voltage drops to 20 vac while it coasts to a stop.

If you are driving it by VFD, then you should check the VFD manual. And anyway it is much more torque and mechanical calculation than electrical, so you need to provide lot of parameters for this.

If you are running it directly, i believe resistors won't do. You could check some documentation for DC braking or consider some mechanical brake.

On a table saw blade 12vdc on one phase of the motor would stop it in 2 seconds. Surface grinder has a lot of weight behind it.

i had come thru this method ..apply dc brake does help but as i agree look to mechnical and study the manual ..coz in our 1st attempt it was big slap to us when it damage hammer(grinder rotor) and coupling .after come study made together with mechinical eng ..we pull out out dc brake and apply mechnical breaking system.

from my opinion ..apply VFD sure does help but beside that cost is always there to be consider as well.

If you do not have a VFD, you cannot accomplish dynamic braking. For dynamic braking to take place, the motor must regenerate and when it does, the kinetic energy in the rotation mass is converted to heat, which loads down the motor and slows it down. But to regenerate, an induction motor must be excited (windings are electromagnets) and the relative frequency of the excitation power must be lower than the rotational speed. So to make that happen, a VFD constantly lowers its output frequency to keep it lower than the rotational speed and keep the motor in regeneration. Without that, it can't happen.

Your choices are DC injection braking or mechanical braking.

DC injectionBraking pumps DC into one winding and sets up a stationary magnetic field, so the rotor attempts to align with it and come to a stop. With this method however, the kinetic energy in that rotating mass becomes heat in the rotor, so you have to be careful about how long you do it and how often. You can buy stand-alone DC injection brakes from Motortronics in Florida.

Mechanical brake is just like disc brakes in your car. The energy in the load becomes friction heat in the brakes. Stearns brakes are a good choice.

Pick your poison, but do it wisely. Forget the dynamic braking though, unless you are willing to add a VFD.

On a table saw blade 12vdc on one phase of the motor would stop it in 2 seconds. Surface grinder has a lot of weight behind it.

It is a low cost option for dc braking as long as current against motor resistance respect safe and accurate braking force. A real DC brake module will usually allow a constant current control to simplify the maths into just turning a Pot.

Are their DC brake units less expensive than an inverter drive?
As a general rule, at 10HP 460V (5HP 230V) and below the cost of an entry level VFD capable of Dynamic Braking is likely the same or LESS than a DC Injection Brake. At 15HP and above the DCIB is going to be less expensive, because that's where many low cost VFDs no longer provide the Dynamic Braking transistor, so you must buy a separate DB module and it adds a lot to the cost.

But again with DCIB ;
"... kinetic energy in that rotating mass becomes heat in the rotor, so you have to be careful about how long you do it and how often."

This will apply to ANY DCIB, regardless of manufacturer. When you use Dynamic Braking with a VFD, the kinetic energy in the load is burned off as heat in the RESISTORS, so it is REMOVED from the motor and you can brake it as often and as long as the resistors can handle it (depending on how much you want to pay for the resistors).

That's about what I expected the answer to be.

Many years ago a company I did some work for made up a cheap and dirty DCIB for some 480 volt conveyor motors by connecting two capacitors to two motor legs through a bridge rectifier and connecting the other side of the cap to the 3rd leg. This charged the caps to about 600 volts when the motor ran. A two pole relay in parallel with the bridge connected those two legs when the motor contactor shut off to discharge the caps. It wasn't elegant but it did work.

That's about what I expected the answer to be.

Many years ago a company I did some work for made up a cheap and dirty DCIB for some 480 volt conveyor motors by connecting two capacitors to two motor legs through a bridge rectifier and connecting the other side of the cap to the 3rd leg. This charged the caps to about 600 volts when the motor ran. A two pole relay in parallel with the bridge connected those two legs when the motor contactor shut off to discharge the caps. It wasn't elegant but it did work.
You needed to have a motor that retained a decent amount of residual magnetism for that to work though.