micrologix1400 Ethernet I/P + Modbus TCP

Jeff23spl

Hello
A quick one for AB experts, can the built in port of a Ml1400 can simultaneously talk with a panel view under the usual AB protocol and be used at the same time as a Modbus TCP link for a scada system ? (Since ethernet allow multiple connections)

If not can i use 1 serial port as a modbus RTU master and the second one as a RTU slave ?

Last edited:
Yes, the ModbusTCP communications are done through MSG instructions and have no bearing on the communications between the Panelview and the PLC.

Compatible Series/Software...

Note: If you've read the other thread then you'll know that your MicroLogix 1400 must be a Series B to support Modbus TCP.

Also Note: RSLogix 500 v8.3 minimum is required to setup and configure the Modbus TCP communications.

It is most likely that you already have both. So the above is a just in case, and it is now very clear for any other readers.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I would be a little hesitant to use a SCADA system that didn't have built-in support for a popular Allen-Bradley controller, but that's a separate issue.

A MicroLogix 1400 Series B controller can be both an EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP peer on the Ethernet port simultaneously. Your description of having a PanelView talk to it via EtherNet/IP and having a SCADA system talk to it via Modbus/TCP is a great example.

While the MicroLogix 1400 can use MSG instructions to originate EtherNet/IP and Modbus/TCP connections, they aren't generally necessary to work with SCADA or HMI software, both of which generally initiate communications with controllers.

The question of serial port functionality is also a "yes": both Channel 0 and Channel 2 support Modbus RTU serial, either Master or Slave.

Thanks again Ken. I understand you point too.
I'm not providing anything more than the ml1400 panel with data to the scada.
After asking for 2 months about connections details when we are ready to ship, i learn that all the plant seem to be Shneider so i ask about Modbus TCP options in case they don't have an AB driver. or don't know/want to use it...

This is the kind of project where there is too much person between you and the end user and no one care about your request until you say it could cost much extras!...