Cheap EtherNet/IP Based Servo Systems

timryder

Hey all...

My company is looking to put together sort of a standard product or at least a canned product for doing some simple motion of up to 4 small axis. Nema 23/34 size motors. I've been looking around trying to find a reasonably priced servo system which has some sort of Ethernet based communication protocol, preferably EtherNet/IP. Other than the AB Kinetix line, does anyone else have any recommendations for an inexpensive system?

NOTE: The motions will be index time actions, they do not need to be coordinated axis.

Does it have to be servo or just closed loop?
Are you using a PLC to control the motion or prefer to have it in the drive?

You can do closed loop with AC and Stepper motors - that will keep costs down. Of course this depends on your accuracy, speed, loads, etc.

If you absolutely need servos I use Emerson EP drives because the drive controls the motion. You can use a PLC with it (talks Ethernet/IP) or just a plug HMI directly to it for control and adjustments. Their interface is really easy to understand and basic motion is all set up- just plug in some numbers and go.

Yaskawa has motion card that plugs into a 1756 rack to control Sigma series servos with AOI's in Logix. Or you could use my preferred method, Logix to an MPiec controller via E/IP.