FT SE: A parameter file for every pump?

williamlove

[For clarity and brevity I will make this example more simple than what I actually have. I'm using FactoryTalk SE ver 8, local app.]

Let's say I have a screen called Pump with one display object, a multistate indicator (with two states) that looks like a light. The light is animated by tag [PLC]Pump_1_On.

Now lets say I replace that tag name with #1 and use a parameter file with #1=[PLC]Pump_1_On. And for pump 25, I'd have #1=[PLC]Pump_25_On. But that is not very efficient.

Do I really have to have a separate parameter file for every pump? In other words if I have 150 pumps do I have to have 150 parameter files?

Or can I make the Connection be something like [PLC]Pump_[#1]_On. If that were possible, I'd only have to change the pump number in the calling command.

Or am I stuck having to have as many parameter files as I do pumps? Would using Global Objects (which I have not tried out yet) allow me to do what I want to do (which is pass a pump number when I open a screen and not have to have 150 versions of something to maintain)?

I would define the tags in the display call, rather than use a parameter file.

For example, I have an AOI for a DOL motor, which has all manner of information about the motor contained within the AOI.

So, my motor popup will have a start button tied to #1.Start, a stop button tied to #1.Stop, a running indicator tied to #1.Running, and so on.

When I call the display, I just need to specify the AOI for that motor. I can't remember the exact syntax off the top of my head, but it'll look something like:

Display Motor_Popup /T [PLC]Pump_25

When the popup opens, the start button will be tied to [PLC]Pump_25.Start, the stop button, well, you see where this is going.

Does that help any?

Its intriguing and I hope it will work. I've never used the /T before. I'm using UDTs in Logix.

One of the actual tags I'm trying to pass is Molds[1].Permissive.RobotFree where [1] is the mold number.

I have an array of type Mold[150] and one of the members is that tag I just stated. If I could pass Molds[1] or Molds[17] in my display call, I'd be in business. I will try it now. If you have any more info or insight write back while I go try this out. Thanks!

I got that method to work. I hadn't been told about that /T way of doing this. I almost created a bunch of parameter files. I'd heard there is no indirect addressing in SE but this method really sort of does indirect addressing, at least what I'm trying to do. Glad I asked. Thanks!