Parameter download to siemens DB

maico

If a parameter is loaded by the HMI to say DB83.DBW132 and I go to the DB and find this parameter but when I use goto location there is no location shown so where is this parameter used in the program?

The parameter may not be used as a Word or integer, but instead as a set of bits (typical for the alarm configuration, for example).

On the goto pop-up window, there will be a tick box just above the buttons mentioning something like other places used or different data types... tick that and see if it pops up.

Another possibility, which will be a pain to figure out, is if someone feeds the number 83 to an FC or FB to create a pointer and use that DB via indirect addressing. If that's the case then you'll have to check a bit more stuff than normal.

right
DB83.dbw132 is the same as DB83.dbx132.0 to 133.7
It can also be DB83.dbb132 to dbb133
and DB83.dbd132 (including all of 132-133-134-135)

This reminds me of a program I came across that had hundreds of DB's but in the code only one DB was used.

The entire functionality was done via pointers and that would be configured by writing the correct values in the correct DB's. It was some of the most intricate programming I've ever seen... and you could configure the whole thing by reading a 200 page manual and writing the correct numbers to the correct fields in the DB's.