Voltage,current and RPM display

rohit_plc

Hello all experts,

I am doing a project in which I have to display voltage,current and RPM of a battery operated vehicle. I need to input these signals to plc, so need help in selecting transducer for converting these signal into plc acceptable form (max voltage 72volt, max current 150amp and RPM 5500) any help will greatly appreciated.

rpm could be a prox reading a rotating wheel. You add the pulses during 5sec into a high speed counter input. Every 5sec you multiply the count by 12 and divide it by number of teeths of the wheel...

For ac volts and amps, i would use a power monitoring device with a communication protocol like modbus RTU or any that fit the plc used. But since you talk about batteries, it is probably DC so you would need a DC power monitor and it may get harder to find....

If you are looking for a low cost option, you can wire a shunt resistor in serie to convert amp into volts. You wire it from battery negative side and the other site to the load. Refference your plc voltage analog input to battery negative and the other side of the shunt to the analog input +. You need to size a shunt that won't makes more voltage than your plc input capacity allow at peak amperage demand.

For voltage, you can use another analogue input and install a resistor bridge to lower the voltage ratio. (The risk with this is if you lose the negative reference for the bridge, you may end up with a 72vdc at the analogue input. It could be tricky to figure out the perfect ratio as you would need to include the PLC analog input impedance into the equation. a 30k resistor and a 5k pot to fine tune the value could probably work well...

Hello all experts,

I am doing a project in which I have to display voltage,current and RPM of a battery operated vehicle. I need to input these signals to plc, so need help in selecting transducer for converting these signal into plc acceptable form (max voltage 72volt, max current 150amp and RPM 5500) any help will greatly appreciated.

Literally hundreds of options for doing this, 4-20ma or 0-10v output transducer/CT to a PLC for the current and voltage, or a DC power meter with modbus output:

https://www.accuenergy.com/product/acudc-dc-power-energy-meter

Speed is as above, count the pulses from the heel and calculate from that.

RPM of what - motor or a wheel/shaft on the vehicle? Cheap and simple would be to repurpose an automotive sensor. All today have crankshaft and camshaft sensors, plus similar on the transmission. Most crank sensors measure teeth or slots on steel parts (often termed "toner ring"), so are pretty general, and have simple mounting. One suggestion is the crank sensor on my 2002 Chrysler T&C w/ 3.8L engine. It is a Hall-effect type, which gives a 5 V square wave output that is DC accurate. 3-wires w/ one being 8 VDC supply. Others, like the Ford EDIS (late 1990's) sensor are "variable reluctance" so just 2-wires and a transient AC signal that has no amplitude at very slow speeds. Some cam sensors rely on embedded magnets on the rotating part. Transmission speed sensors bolt from the outside and sense toothed wheels.

I agree that a shunt resistor is simplest to measure DC current, and also most accurate. Look at Emco, etc. If you can't be in series, there are Hall-effect sensors which you pass a wire thru. Removable clamp-on types are less accurate, and tend to give different phase shift each time you clamp them. Correcting for phase shift is very important when calculating motor power, especially at low power factors. A shunt resistor should have no phase shift. When you use a voltage attenuator, be careful because it high resistance in combination w/ the cable capacitance on the signal side can give an appreciable RC low-pass filter and thus phase shift to correct.

If you are looking to monitor the RPM of a motor that has a shaft to connect to, there is a smart Encoder from Autotech Controls (http://autotechcontrols.net/encoders/a25.htm) that has a display on it that shows position and RPM and also talks Ethernet I/P, so it can send the position / RPM directly to the PLC.

There is also a smart power supply there with a display that outputs Voltage and current and through a dry contact can send a signal to PLC. Only limitation here though is Powersupply is 24VDC http://autotechcontrols.net/powersupply/index.htm

Thank you all for your reply, This will help me a lot. Now I have Many options. Accuenergy product I think would be good and easy, but not available in my country and for encoder autotech control"s encoder is very good. All other options are also seems suitable for this application. I will select and use these devices and share result soon. Thanks all for your response. You people are great(y)