HMI Options

Kev77

Hi,

I am working on developing a replacement system for some old hardware we sold many moons ago. I am looking for options for a 10" HMI and have narrowed it down to a few options.

The system consists of a Compactlogix L33ER PLC, Delta RMC150 motion controller and some old SLC 500 I/O over Ethernet so the easy answer would be a AB product. I have been looking at the 9" Panelview 5310 which would be a good option and the price isn't that bad.

I have also been looking at the Red Lion CR1000 displays but I haven't hear much about them on this forum. I did consider the G3 series but the price point next to the Panelview 5310 is about the same. Might be a little less complex staying with AB? Maybe not!

The last option is a 10" Maple Systems screen but I don't know how they will hold up in a sawmill.

Has anyone used the new Panelview 5310 or Red Lion CR1000 series screens? What do you think about the quality?

:confused:

Have you looked at the AdvancedHMI panel PCs and software? It's PC based software, so gives you much more hardware options than hardware based HMIs. It also avoids the obsolete hardware problem because with PC based you can swap the panel with any manufacturer's panel PC. You will also find the AdvancedHMI software is more responsive in comparison to most hardware based HMIs.

The software is no cost, so you can develop a test app and run it on your laptop before buying any hardware.

Interesting thought!

Hi Archie,

Actually I just finished my first AdvancedHMI project. It pulls data from a Compactlogix PLC and stores it in a MySQL database while giving the operators a visual display of current data as well as a graph of historical data. It also creates a excel spreadsheet daily with all the days production.

My challenge is I am really bad at VB and it took lots of youtube videos and your forum to get it up and running. I still am unable to publish the application because of something to do with certificates (I think). I hate the one-click publishing!

The first project was just a test that I will run for a month so I wasn't too concerned about publishing it. I was going to just run it through Visual Studio (2017).

I didn't think about using it but without all the extras I needed for my first project, it might be a good option. I would still need a good quality panel PC.

Any suggestions?

I did a project with the CR1000 7". The thing that i didnt like was the lack of an emulator, but aside from that it went well. Use the graphite or cr3000 if you need trending, email or remote access

I still am unable to publish the application because of something to do with certificates (I think). I hate the one-click publishing!
Don't waste time with Publish, it really as too many quirks associated with it. Simply copy the files to the target and create a shortcut to the executable.
I would still need a good quality panel PC.
The Panel PCs on the AdvancedHMI web site are industrial grade, all solid state, and all metal construction. And they are completely configured with Windows 10 and ready to go out of the box.

The last option is a 10" Maple Systems screen but I don't know how they will hold up in a sawmill.

We just became a Weintek distributor, they also make the Maple.... we have a few new products coming in next week but see the link below for the ones we now offer

https://www.plccable.com/weintek-hmis/

That said... for the cost if you get a couple years out of it then its worth it :) I think in the sawmills not only the dust but the humidity as well maybe a concern? they offer a plastic and aluminum models that we will be offereing

Thanks for the replies!

What do you use now for an HMI?

Currently we don't have a standard. In the past it has been vb applications but very limited development. I have used lots of Panelviews in the past and have even used Panel PC's with Factorytalkview ME licenses to get away from the panelview hardware.

Thanks OkiePC, At this point I don't need trending but it might be good to have the option without having to change hardware and the remote access would be really nice. I will take a look at the other Red Lion models.

geniusintraining, I have never used Weintek but is worth looking at. I am interested in seeing what new models you will sell. I will download the software and play with it to see how easy it is for my simple mind!

Archie,
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try. I did look at what you have on your website and they look durable!

Overall what I have seen in the mills is the dust and moisture is a problem. I used AB Versaviews in the past and the failure point was the lip on the screen. Operators would take Windex out to clean the screen and would soak the screen. The Windex and sawdust would mix and get between the face seal and the glass then harden up. This would cause the mouse point to drag down to the bottom and require me to disassemble the screen and clean the glass. We had Rockwell come out to look at the issue, about a year later, the new Versaviews came out without the lip.

I have a few weeks to make a decision so I've got some work to do.

Thanks all!

Maple System/Weintek, we use maple system for almost everything. They are very reliable
very cost effective, and I have not found any job yet that the maple system could not handle.

All of maple systems hmi are MQTT publisher's! They all can be VNC server!

Alot of BANG for the BUCK!!!!

Thanks all!

I have narrowed it down to a few options. AdvancedHMI, Red Lion and Weintek. One thing I have not settled on yet is if it's going to be a panel PC. I need the most out of the screen that I can get. The systems have a PLC and Delta RMC150 so if I run a panel PC, then I can load the RMC tools on it for motion setup and tuning.

I am nervous about the Red Lion CR3000 because from what the factory says, these have not been released yet. The first units ship mid May. Although I have the time, you know what they say about living on the edge, you will get cut! I could use the CR1000, but I like the web server and trending option.

The Panel PC's that AdvancedHMI offer look like they're built well and give me some flexibility.

On the Weintek displays, they seen to be well established and we currently have several 7" Maple screens, so the transition wouldn't bee tough at all.

I will need to stew on it over the weekend and make a decision next week.

Kevin