Wonderware intouch alarm printer

RobinH

Hi,

We are using wonderware intouch alarm printer to print out alarms to a dot matrix printer and to log to file and i have discovered a problem.

The problem is that some alarms is printed out and logged with the comment "Hello world" instead of its actual comment.

In the AlarmViewerControl which displays the alarms on screen everything seems fine. The alarm comments are correct.

Has anyone experienced this before, any solution?

Best regards.

Tags in newer versions of InTouch have an additional "Alarm Comment" field so as to make the InTouch database compatible with Archestra. When converting an older application, the "Tag Comment" (which had previously been used by the InTouch alarm handler) is copied to this new "Alarm Comment" field. For any new tags added after such a conversion, it is necessary to place the desired alarm comment text in the "Alarm Comment" field. It is possible that someone added some alarm tags with "Hello world" in the "Alarm Comment" field. This text would then be copied to each new tag created within the database editor.

Look at your offending tags in the Tagname Dictionary, and be sure to click the button at the top of the dialog for "Alarms" or "Details and Alarms". The default display mode does not show alarm configuration.

Dear Bit_Bucket_07,

Thank you for your answer. I know that each alarm tag has two "Alarm comment" fields.
I have dumped the intouch database and searched for "Hello World" without finding it.
I have also looked on the respective tags in the Tagname Dictionary. Both Comment fields are the same and does not show "Hello World".

Do you have any other suggestions?

Best regards.

Hi, and thank you again.

Hm, as you say it can be a script somewhere. But i have checked all scripts in the system and no script includes "Hello World".

I will go through and check again.

Weird.

Actually you can do a "Database Dump" and search for "Hello World".
You can edit all alarm comments in the "Database Dump" and do a "Database Load".

Save your original "Database Dump" so you can reload if you have issues.

Editing the database is an easy way to take care of tag data in Intouch.
Just don't change the name of the tag and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Hi, and thank you again.

Hm, as you say it can be a script somewhere. But i have checked all scripts in the system and no script includes "Hello World".

I will go through and check again.

Weird.

I was wondering if it might be something outside of your HMI application generating the "Hello world" printout.

Have you tried to run the app on a different computer to see if you get the same results?

If the tags are "retentive", the "Hello World" will stay till the alarm comment is changed or you delete the retentive file that is holding the last data.
First I would set actual Alarm Comments on the tags in question, to see if the comment changes on alarm test.

If the tags are "retentive", the "Hello World" will stay till the alarm comment is changed or you delete the retentive file that is holding the last data.
First I would set actual Alarm Comments on the tags in question, to see if the comment changes on alarm test.

Retentive tags retain data, not comments. Only a Message tag would retain string data, and it's unlikely that a Message tag has an alarm associated with it. At any rate, you will see the most recent data in a retentive tag as it's initialization value when you do a DB dump.

Retentive tags retain data, not comments. Only a Message tag would retain string data, and it's unlikely that a Message tag has an alarm associated with it. At any rate, you will see the most recent data in a retentive tag as it's initialization value when you do a DB dump.

****...You are right there....don't know what I was thinking.
Just grasping at straws at where the "Hello World" is coming from...

Look at the alarm configuration page, and see if someone has set "hello world" as a default when "no alarms exist". I had to add a message "No Alarms Present" to ours, because they kept thinking the server crashed.

Thank you for all your answers.

I have found out that on the Alarm Viewers Control properties the "Use Default Ack Comment" is checked and it has the string "Hello World".
So thats why.

In the manual it says:

Use default ack comment

Controls whether a default
comment appears when an
operator acknowledges an alarm.
If this box is checked and a string
is entered, the string is used
during run time as the default
comment.
If this box is not selected, when
the operator acknowledges an
alarm, a dialog box appears to
enter an optional comment. The
dialog box can be filled in or left
blank.

How can I get the system to log its own comment?

What i dont understand is that only certain alarms in the log have the "Hello World"?

I have also discovered that some alarms has wrong comment in the log.