Most ridiculously overly-complicated panel you've ever designed

brstilson

Right now I have sitting on the bench five control panels. They each have a Micrologix 1100. I also have a Panelview Plus 1250. Each Micrologix is using ONE digital output. That's it. Nothing else. The sole purpose of this system is so that the customer's IT people can remotely access wireless access points and cycle power to them. So why the overkill even though there are much more simple and direct products on the market for this? The customer wants it "to be industrial" and it "needs a PLC." They're willing to pay for it, so who I am to say no? :D

thats ridiculous. they could have used something like an adam remote IO module for a fraction of the cost.

I'm surprised they didn't want you to put a ControlLogix in it.

If they had, they would have opted for a Redundancy/Safety system for that one output !

Would this be a hotel chain, by any chance?

I'm always staying in hotels that have pi$$-poor wifi, even when you have to pay for it, and the staff are always instructed to cycle the power to everything at the slightest hint of a problem.

Cycling the power on cr@p equipment ain't gonna remove the cr@p.

and people wonder why I won't use my initials to sign for anything.

Especially when boxes are made for that.

The WebRelay, comes in single, dual or quad relay outputs:
51czde.png

A web page allows for control of the relay:
2i04wvs.gif

http://www.controlbyweb.com/products.html

Now that was hard, wasn't it?

It would be funny if their plan was to connect the ML1400's Ethernet port to the same wireless access point it's controlling.

WAP unresponsive. Needs a power cycle
Send request to ML
Request timed out :ROFLMAO:

🍻

-Eric

WAP unresponsive. Needs a power cycle
Send request to ML
Request timed out
Micro logix does dot get heart beat from main office (front lobby)
cycles power using a timer to toggle power to the WAP
google back up and running find nearby Pub in time to make happy hour:beer:

Why in God's name do they need a PV+ 1250???

I mean, the whole thing is overkill, but why in the world would you use such a giant panel for this purpose? What's on the screen, one pb to turn on the one output, for each uLogix?

Heck, you could have just used a small Red Lion G304 and had a Webserver so that the IT folks could remote in on the WIFI that isn't working to cycle power to the access points that aren't the problem in the first place! (At least it might keep them out of the control room)

Why in God's name do they need a PV+ 1250???

They want a PV+ so they can use Viewpoint. Why it's so big I have no idea. Maybe they have to wear mittens at all times.

I mean, the whole thing is overkill, but why in the world would you use such a giant panel for this purpose? What's on the screen, one pb to turn on the one output, for each uLogix?

Yes. That is it exactly. Now, I made it a BIT fancier than that. Each button opens a pop-up window where they can turn it off, on, or use a special button to automatically turn it off and on, and adjust that time. They paid us for it, so I gave them the Cadillac of off/on control.

Heck, you could have just used a small Red Lion G304 and had a Webserver so that the IT folks could remote in on the WIFI that isn't working to cycle power to the access points that aren't the problem in the first place! (At least it might keep them out of the control room)

There you have the crux of the problem. This system shouldn't even exist in the first place. Access Points shouldn't need to be power cycled in the first place, so this whole system is just sweeping the real problem under the rug. Believe me, I'm with you. Heck, the simplest solution would be wiring up some light switches and putting them in a locked room. But hey, we're making money on it so I can't complain too much :D