21 at Last

I'm not saying it's smart, but the rationale behind the higher drinking age in the states is drunk driving. Unlike much of the world, it is not possible to walk home from the bar. (or pub or club or whatever ...) When the drinking age was raised, the number of traffic fatalities dropped.

I'd always let my kids have a taste when I had a beer or such at home, even when they were pre-teens. Then it wasn't such a big deal, and they had some idea what responsible alcohol use was about. I agree with the posters who felt the first drink shouldn't come as a shock at 21!

Tom,

I wouldn't say it's NOT possible to walk/bike/bus/take a cab home here in the states, just difficult if you live outside the city. I never had a problem getting home without a car growing up in Milwaukee or now here in Madison.

Traffic fatalities are down across the board, period, from where they were 20 or 40 years ago mainly due to massive improvements in signage and car safety features (even the cheapest $9000 Nissan has standard airbags and ABS!). While I abhor drunken driving it's hard for me to rationalize that a 19 year old is more likely to get in the car and drive wasted than a 21 year old.. It's a silly law IMHO.

I for one am glad they wouldn't let me buy the stuff when I was 16, I probably would not have been 17.

Happy B-Day Kid.

Last edited:
Where I grew up in BFE Colorado, you just had to be able to see over the bar. Being 6'2" at the ripe age of fourteen, that wasn't any problem. :)

So when you said "The Plc Kid", you weren't kidding! :)

Congrats!

Congrats Kid!

Even though the choice to drink is yours to make, it is my hope that you don't start. for me it was a bad habit to start and a hard one to stop.

i've been sober for 12 years 11 months and don't regret stopping, the time with my 3 boys has been well spent. we could go into the pros and cons of drinking, but its your decision.

again, congrats!

regards,
james

I'm not saying it's smart, but the rationale behind the higher drinking age in the states is drunk driving. Unlike much of the world, it is not possible to walk home from the bar. (or pub or club or whatever ...) When the drinking age was raised, the number of traffic fatalities dropped.

I'd always let my kids have a taste when I had a beer or such at home, even when they were pre-teens. Then it wasn't such a big deal, and they had some idea what responsible alcohol use was about. I agree with the posters who felt the first drink shouldn't come as a shock at 21!

I agree 100% Tom - It is 18 Here but I support earlier age learning the responsible use of alcohol.

Happy birthday 'PLC KID' well done at getting closer to my age..
21 and some months (53)
And now you can say you are almost over the hill...:ROFLMAO:

You can order an alcoholic beverage starting at the age of 16, even when no adults accompany you. And with more than 1200 different kinds of beer, choosing the right one is the biggest problem we face.

Thats because American beer sucks and is so bad that it should be illegal for anyone to drink it. We even tried making it illegal once, it didn't go over very well, so we settled on 21.

I grew up in Arizona, where the age was 19 then. They changed it in the mid 80's to conform with the rest of the US. I guess that would have been before the Kid was born though.

-----------------------------------------

Happy Birthday Kid.

Here, have one on me 🍺