Messaging through a 1783-NATR question

BinderNut

I have a machine with a small private network that is connected to our process network through a 1783-NATR.
I would like to get some tags from a ControlLogix on the public network passed to a CompactLogix on the private network but am having problems setting up a communication path.

Public network L61 = 10.41.30.x

1783-NATR

Private network L33ERM = 192.168.1.2

I have the L33ERM mapped to the translation table on the NATR and can access it from the public network with no problems.

Do I need to map the public network L61 so the private network L33ERM can see it?
I tried adding the L61 (10.41.30.x) mapped to 192.168.1.5 but I get a duplicate IP fault on the NATR when I add that mapping rule.

Any ideas how to set this up? Thanks!

I suspect once you clear the confusion for us you will get your answer.

Each ethernet presence only require one translation.

So, for example:

Public 10.41.30.1 == Private 192.168.1.1
Public 10.41.30.3 == Private 192.168.1.5

but this is not ok:

Public 10.41.30.1 == Private 192.168.1.1
Public 10.41.30.1 == Private 192.168.1.5

Sorry for the confusion.

The NATR is configured on both private and public networks with IP and gateways.

NAT rules as shown on the attached screenshot.
One PLC and one HMI on the private network which do translate through to the public with no problem. One PLC on the public network is not translating through to the private network. That IP is showing an IP conflict on the Address Conflict tab of the NATR status page. Shown in second screenshot.

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

It appears to me that you are trying to bring the Public PLC to the Local PLC network? is that correct?

I dont believe you will be able to do it that way.
The NATR translates the Local PLC and puts it on the Public network.
All coms between the "Local" PLC and the one on the Public network should use the network configuration that was given to the Local PLC by the NATR.

IE.) Local PLC IP= 192.168.1.1, translated to 10.10.2.20, when talking to the Public PLC that is 10.10.2.30, all coms between those two PLC will use the 10.10.2.xxx IP addresses. the 192.168.1.1 is irrelevant to the Public network.
When Public PLC wants to talk to the Local PLC it will hit the 10.10.2.20 IP address, and the NATR will translate it to the 192 IP address.
This goes for the other way as well, when Local PLC 192 IP wants to talk to the Public PLC, you set the com IP to 10.10.2.30 and the NATR will do the rest.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Gad

Last edited:
Nothing obvious wrong with your configuration that I can see.

ok, what happens when you ping x.x.x.16 on the pubic side, what happens when you ping 192.168.1.50 at the private side?

Are you sure you are not having a duplicate IP address?

Problem solved. Forgot to follow-up here.
I defaulted the NATR and repeated setup.
I'm thinking there was a problem with the private gateway hitting the public network gateway or vice versa.

The public net PLC is visible on the private net now. I did not need to map it to the NAT table.

Thanks!