Red Lion CR1000 HMI to SLC 5/03 DH485

I have a Red Lion CR10000700000210 HMI with an RS485 port that is an RJ45 connector.

I want to connect it to a SLC5/03 DH485 port (RJ45).

Has anyone done this before? What cable did you use?

I've done it a while back.
Older gen G3 Red Lion HMI but should work with what you have.
Just verify with Red Lion to be sure!

This is from my archives, hope it helps!

Last edited:
Actually, I have an older G307K200 in there that is getting replaced with this CR1000. The G307 is no longer available. It is using the cable that you mentioned. But, it is going through a CBLADK13 adapter. That is a DB9 to RJ45 adapter. I just wasn't sure if the pinouts would be the same or not.

The newer CR1000 only has the RJ45 connector for the RS485. There are no more DB9 ports.

20210325_135534b.jpg

Last edited:
That CBLAB003 should work with the CR series. If you make your own cable, be sure that you DON'T have anything connected to pin 3 on the SLC side which has 24VDC present!

The one that Red Lion sells is stupid expensive for a piece of cheap ribbon cable with RJ plugs.
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/red-lion-controls/cblab003/70030999/

Many a greenhorn has mistaken that SLC DH485 (RJ45) port for Ethernet and let the smoke out of their laptop NIC.

Maybe a good excuse to upgrade your 5/03 to a 5/05 if you have the budget in your project, did your G307K200 fail?

The CBLAB003 cable worked perfectly. And, the imported project from Crimson 3.0 to Crimson 3.1 worked beautifully without any remapping or anything.

It is important to note. For anyone doing this. The cable has a specific end for the PLC, and for the HMI. For the reason that OkiePC mentioned above. The cable from Red Lion has a label on each end.

Red Lion even sold me an adapter plate so the new unit would just mount right in to the existing cutout.

Thanks for the help guys!

The CBLAB003 cable worked perfectly. And, the imported project from Crimson 3.0 to Crimson 3.1 worked beautifully without any remapping or anything.

It is important to note. For anyone doing this. The cable has a specific end for the PLC, and for the HMI. For the reason that OkiePC mentioned above. The cable from Red Lion has a label on each end.

Red Lion even sold me an adapter plate so the new unit would just mount right in to the existing cutout.

Thanks for the help guys!

Good feedback!

Don't you wish everything worked as well as Crimson? Every time I see a bunch of obscure FactoryBalk problems posted on this forum, a refrain runs through my head which I sometimes say out loud, "Throw it in the trash and buy a Red Lion."

I should start a Panelview Youtube series of "how to" videos and start every clip with me throwing a PV+ in the dumpster and then proceeding to show how to use Crimson to do it better, faster, and cheaper.

Yeah!

Faster, Better AND less expensive. Free tech support. Free programming software. That is simple to download without jumping through hoops to download. I could go on.

A Panelview of the equivalent size is double the price! Sold without tech support. You have to buy the programming software. Gees!