Totally off topic....... puzzle

I love puzzles. But I couldnt even find out how to start.

What the h**l is a "Petal around the Rose" ???

I couldnt even start to guess, because this isnt explained.
Is it self evident to some of you guys ?[font=CenturyOldst BT,Bookman Old Style]
[/font]

I guess I'm not so smart afterall

20 minutes!!!!!! Of course my boss will wonder why I spent 20 minutes at a web site for roses but....

It just hit me as I was staring at it. If it takes longer the smarter you are, I guess I'm probably one of the dumbest guys on this forum.

I got it right every time.

As I read down through the text, it says, "The smarter you are, the harder it is to figure out." which means I'm not so smart, I guess... :cry:

brucechase said:
If it takes longer the smarter you are, I guess I'm probably one of the dumbest guys on this forum.
I don't dare to say how long it toke me. I guess I would be called the dumbest guy around here for ages to come:oops:. Or maybe I simply have a graphically oriented mind:confused:.

They ask everybody not to spoil the fun for others, but I wonder if a hint is allowed?

Kind regards,

Here are the only "hints" allowed.

The name is “Petals around the Rose”.

The name is significant.

The answer is always even.

The answer can be from 0 to 24.

Not sure I believe the "The smarter you are, the harder it is to figure out" part of it. I sent it to some of our software developers, extremely intellegent people and one of them got it in about 10 minutes. I think it is more of the way a person looks at things.

I didn't time it, but it took three rolls of the dice to figure out the objective. (Unfortunately, I counted wrong on the fifth roll, when I was verifying my "solution". I guess my inability to count to fourteen negates the quick solution. Rats!)

I would think 0 to 20. One wrong guess then the rest were correct. I must be nearer the bottom of the pile. With some of the mathematical discussions on this forum I really feel like it. I usually get lost about 2 sentences in.

Second Roll, 15 seconds.

I have quite an extensive mathematical background, along with some little know aspects of mathematics. I did not even consider a mathematical solution directly. I am graphically oriented. I simply 'saw' the answer after the first roll. I counted incorrectly the first time because I did not consider one small detail.

But go figure, when I have someone give me a word problem, I struggle endlessly until I draw a picture.

David