RTS vs RPI

Trank

In ControlLogix 5000, the AI module resets the RPI timer each time an RTS transfer occurs. What is the purpose for RPI timer be reset by RTS? If RPI will not be reset, what will happen? If RPI=RTS, RPI timer will expire before reset by RTS, or RPI timer will never expired? If RPI will never expire, does RPI multicast exist? It would be highly appreciated if someone could asnwer this question.

RPI - The amount of time (in milliseconds) between updates of data from the remote controller. This value is scaled as a real value from the microseconds stored in the controller. The local controller will receive data at least this fast.

RTS - A programmed interval at which updated information is supplied to the processor. It is a method by which data is gathered, at precise intervals, for use by the processor.

What this means is that the RPI is maximum frequency that data will be gathered from the remote controller. My understanding is that the RTS can trigger the process to gather that information more frequently thus reset the RPI timer.