IP Addresses

poppachoppa

I am trying to display the two IP addresses for 2 1756-ENBT on the same rack onto a panelview. I do not need to change them, just display them and also the Panelviews address as well. I'm sure its easy to do, but I cant find an area in the PLC to read them from, except via the programming software and the hardware's properties.

RA TechConnect Answer ID 26779 refers to the retrieval of EtherNet/IP Modules IP Addresses; it is not as "easy" as it sounds since these settings are implemented outside of the programming application and will require explicit messaging from within the EtherNet IP Object parameters.

I don't believe you will be able to retrieve an HMI's IP address since said HMI is never a part of the controller's configured modules; a CPU will never "know" if any HMI is connected or not.

Only the new generation of Allen-Bradley PanelView terminals, the 5500 Series, are part of the controller's Project Tree hence accessible via Explicit Messaging.

If you are using a PanelView Plus 6 at least, you can use the Me IpInfo control to write the panels IP info to tags. Then display those tags.

The MSG in the attached picture will read the IP information from an Ethernet card. The tag IPInfo is a SINT[50]. The first 4 bytes returned represent the IP Address in reverse order. The problem is the SINT is signed and the bytes for the IP needs to be unsigned. If you can do a bitwise copy form the SINT to an INT, then it should become the correct IP values.

IPAddressRead.png

I am trying to display the two IP addresses for 2 1756-ENBT on the same rack onto a panelview. I do not need to change them, just display them and also the Panelviews address as well.
The ActiveX control described in the following technote is able to read the IP Address from a hosting PV Plus 6/7:

TN520347 ME IPInfo Control ActiveX control to get IP address, subnet mask, gateway and MAC ID (Access Level: Everyone)

Access level is for everyone, so you only need a free account in RA website.

There's another Activex control for older Panel Views (techconnect access):

TN35439 ActiveX Control for View Machine Edition, obtains IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway address and MAC ID (Access Level: TechConnect)