Torque Control instead of position control

Prince

I am working on a gang of screw jacks to replace an old design for a hydraulic cylinder.

My first option would be to select one of the screw jacks as master and try to synchronize position of the screw jacks. This will mean a lot of money and trouble regarding servos and controllers.

I thought about a second option to control the screw jacks individually based on torque. Then the structure can itself harmonize the screw jacks. The control system would be much more easier

Did you ever use the second option?
What are the drawbacks and limitations? Do you have any advice?
How can I help the mechanics in changes that they need to do on the main structure?

I've never did anything remotely similar to this, so I'm just thinking out loud.

I don't see how torque control can regulate the position by itself as the torque can only really be used as a limit (not as a setpoint, unless there is a load going above that setpoint).

So you set up your torque a little above what will be required to lift the load (or ramp until you see movement) and then play with the speed individually? But how do you guarantee that the screws will actually move at the same rate?

Is this 2 or 4 screws?

Again, I may be way off, but from my experience with motors torque control controls the force and not speed or position directly. You may actually want to monitor torque and control it, but you'll also need some speed control to go with it.