Newbie Questions.

HoldenC

I feel bad for asking a lot of questions, and not being able to answer them for anyone else. I just had a few random questions, and was wondering if anyone can help me out.

1.) I'm a little confused on RsLogix Version numbers. Can a file created in V19 be opened and edit in another v19, or can be be a newer version, im guessing it couldnt be an older version.

2.) If I have a PLC and need to upload a program from the PLC to a pc to make a back up (I know i will lose my Tags"), what kind of error will I get if I use a wrong version of RSLogix such as 8.40 vs 8.10 on a SLC 500 system.

3.)Can anyone suggest some online courses or programs I can enroll in to lean more about PLC's, I would like for it to be Allen and Bradley focused. We use PLC5, SLC 500, and ControlLogix where I work. I have already ordered and read the 3 books from this website, along with a couple text books. Some things still escape me such as connecting remote racks in all 3 systems, connecting different PLC systems together. I would just like to further my education on these things.

1.) I'm a little confused on RsLogix Version numbers. Can a file created in V19 be opened and edit in another v19, or can be be a newer version, im guessing it couldnt be an older version.

For any revision of processor firmware, you need the matching major revision of RSLogix/Studio5000. Compatibility does not work "backwards" or "forwards", as you guessed.

If you have a techconnect contract you can download all versions, and install them side-by-side. When you open an application file written in a different version, the software automatically detects this, closes the current version, opens the new version, and opens the application

2.) If I have a PLC and need to upload a program from the PLC to a pc to make a back up (I know i will lose my Tags"), what kind of error will I get if I use a wrong version of RSLogix such as 8.40 vs 8.10 on a SLC 500 system.

RSLogix500 latest versions will upload and work with applications created in earlier releases (notice I did not say "version" deliberately). RSLogix500 is "backward compatible", but I don't know how far.

Uploading will only upload code and data-tables. All "documentation", including symbolic addresses, address and instruction comments, rung comments do not exist in the controller. However, if you already have a "backup" file that contains the documentation, you can "Upload and Use" the documentation, also called "merge". Be careful you do not download by mistake !!

As for courses I think the money would be better spent on getting some hardware from ebay or similar sites to play with you could probably resell it to make some money back and in the long rung nothing beats hands on.

I was working on a project at a college in the middle east that would let students remotely connect to our massive lab full of unused hardware was outfitted with some pretty sweet high res controllable cameras so you could actually visually inspect most of the gear, unfortunately the guy spear heading it retired I left shortly after so all that beautiful PLC gear is sitting in boxes collecting dust. :cry: some days I am tempted to go back and get it rolling again, plus it was nice to have an almost unlimited budget to buys "toys"

I tell new guys that all the time because it can be confusing at first since they are all so used to "downloading" from the internet

Absolute confusion all round - some PLC manufacturers have it the other way round....

Anyway, the words "Upload" and "Download", by themselves, are meaningless, because they convey no sense of direction.

Consider the four following statements....

"Upload to ...."
"Upload from ...."
"Download to ...."
"Download from ...."

Without the "to" or "from" we cannot determine the direction of the transfer.

We need a better description of the operation to be performed, and not leave it to the various manufacturers to decide which side of the fence to jump to....

I like "Send/Receive", or "Put/Get", or even "Write/Read" would be better....

I feel bad for asking a lot of questions, and not being able to answer them for anyone else. I just had a few random questions, and was wondering if anyone can help me out.

Also shouldn't feel bad as you asking the question and getting an answer will inevitably help someone and save them headache down the road

Which PLCs do you upload to? I don't think I have come across one yet. *shudders*

I like the "Transfer from PLC to PC" / "Transfer from PC to PLC" pair. Transfer has no preconceived sense of direction so you use the remaining unambiguous words to figure out what is going on.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this. I appreciate everyone's responses though.

I bought a Micrologix 1000 a while back, and have been doing simple things with it. I wanted to be able to grab a PLC5 or a SLC500 system, so i could borrow cards from work and be able to try different things, but i dont have a copy of RSLogix5 or 500 to use to program.

Ive spent most of my free time lately going through our plant and seeing what all cards are used, and reading their users manual. Ive learned a lot this way. Right now im reading up on PLC5's Remote IO cards.

I like the "Transfer from PLC to PC" / "Transfer from PC to PLC" pair.

That works until you play with an old Siemens PLC where the PLC is a PC and the PC is a PG...

"Transfer from PG to PC"

Whoops, just downloaded an empty project into your old S5. You have a up-to-date backup, right?