ControlLogix and RSLinx 2.56

AJGS

Hi,
I am trying to get RSlinx Version 2.56 to see a 1756-DHRIO/E card in a controlLogic Chassis.

The Chassis is 17 slot with a L71 in Slot 0 and the DH+ card in Slot 1.

RSLinx sees the card and shows it as a Yellow ? mark with no X. it labels it as 1756-DHRIO/E and as Unrecognized Device. I have downloaded the latest EDS which is 7.001, but the module I have is a 7.003

Reading the manual it says to configure the card in RSLinx by Right Clicking and go to Module Configuration. However my RSLinx does not show that option.

Is it a case of having to upgrade RSLinx? This project is using the Rockwell PLC5 to ControlLogix chassis conversion with 2 X 17 slot racks connected via EN2T cards. I am trying to setup a opc link from the L71 to the original RSView 32 V7.5 Application.

Any help appreciated.

Andrew

Thanks for the quick reply.

The only reason is that we use a standard image for our equipment - which is about 10 years old!

Will RSLinx Lite give me the OPC connection I need or does that only come with the full version?

Thanks gain
Andrew

For RSLinx OPC connectivity you will need at least the "Single Node" RSLinx Classic package; "Single Node" supports only one controller; for multiple controllers you will need the "OEM" or "Gateway" package.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/products/rslinx.page#ordering-information

RSLinx Lite latest releases do not provide any OPC connectivity, however, they will allow you to upload or create an EDS file from any RA/AB connected devices.

I have downloaded the latest EDS which is 7.001, but the module I have is a 7.003

This is a bit of a shot-in-the-dark...consider doing this process:

1. Exit and shutdown RS-Linx
2. Run the EDS Hardware Installation tool within RS-Linx Tools to install the 7.001 EDS file.
3. Re-start RS-Linx and look for the DHRIO/E

The 7.001 EDS should be fine for all v7 modules (my system only shows 7.001 and I can see a 7.002 module). I'm quite sure I could see this module under 2.56, but have since upgraded.

The last thing I can think of (short of RS-Linx upgrade) is to verify communication with the module. One way is to right-click on the DHRIO in RS-Linx and display Device Properties. It should respond with a few details, possibly including an EDS file name. This is what it shows for the 7.002 mentioned earlier: 0001000C001207XX.EDS

EDS files help RSLinx Classic identify devices on a network and in a chassis. They tell the software what kind of device it is and what kind of features it has.

RSLinx includes a little configuration applet for the 1756-DHRIO. It has been there since the very beginning in 1998, back before there were even ControlLogix L1 CPUs.

But because RSLinx doesn't know the module is a 1756-DHRIO, it doesn't know that it should make the DHRIO configuration applet available when you right-click.

You should be able to manually download the DHRIO's EDS file from the Rockwell EDS server, using the category "network independent" and the 1756-DHRIO part number. It's also attached to RA Knowledgebase article ID # 57332 (TechConnect Required).

Another Knowledgebase article (67808) suggests that you might have to do the classic "delete the harmony cache files" method to get RSLinx to offer you the 1756-DHRIO configuration applet.

Thanks for the feedback guys, that all makes sense Ken

I did go ahead and upgrade to 3.74 - the highest I could go using WinXP SP3. apart from the fact it wouldn't fit on the 4GB CF card all that is now sorted out.

Now I am trying to establish the link between the L71 and the RSView application. When I setup the topic, I get the option in Advanced Communication of Local or Remote addressing.

I am stuck here on which to use. If I use Local I get nothing when I go to copy DDE/OPC Link when I drop down the Online box under RSLinxOPC Server.

If I choose Remote I am asked for a path to the 1756-DHRIO module.

Again not sure where to go from here.

Andrew

Unless running RSLinx Gateway and the DDE/OPC Server is located on a different PC than RSLinx you need to use the Local addressing mode.

Also, RSLinx Classic needs to run as a Service in order to be able use the DDE/OPC Server feature.

All good now.

Since you upgraded to a version that requires FactoryTalk Activation, you may want to verify RS-Linx is being properly activated, especially if you were previously using master disk activation. An un-activated new installation will work for seven days until the grace period runs out. All will seem good until it suddenly comes crashing to a halt.

You are probably fine, but the couple minutes to check in FT Activation Manager is worth the effort.