GE Fanuc T/W Interface I/O help needed

Johnny T

Hi,

I've just got back from a job and have a question that I need to get answers to by tomorrow morning.. eek !

The job I'm working on is upgrading a Series One GE Fanuc PLC system to a S7-312.

So far, so good.. except that the old system had a "T/W Interface" which had a lead coming out of it that went to 12 terminals. The 12 terminals were linked via field wiring to a 00 - 99 switch on the control panel. This switch selects bag length (the machine is a wrapping machine).

When I started the job, I assumed I would be able to just route these 12 terminals to DC Inputs and it would give me a BCD representation of the switch position... nope!

I tried to measure the voltage of these 12 terminals on an identical machine that is running and found that there was no measurement on AC and on DC the voltage fluctuated wildy except for 3 of them.. bear with me here...

The 8 terminals are:
A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6
B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6

I found that A5, B4 and B6 were a steady 24VDC. The others fluctuated. The switch was set to 2-5 so I thought BINGO! its just binary. Except that I changed the switch to 2-6 and the same terminals were a steady 24. With the switch set to 9-9 none of the terminals are a steady 24V.

Anyone got any idea what's going on with this?

Another question relating to this is.. how would I ascertain what inputs this 00 - 99 switch is altering. Bear in mind that I haven't got the necessaries to go online with GE Fanuc. I have got the old software listing. I sussed out that the inputs are 010 - 117 and the outputs are 020 - 027 and 120 - 127.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

JT :)

The thumbwheels most likely are wired to a thumbwheel interface module IC610MDL105. This module can multiplex up to 4 sets of thumbwheels, each set having up to four decades. That's why you're not seeing a constant voltage.

The thumbwheel data gets written to the presets for counters C674 through C677. The thumbwheel whose common is wired to terminal A1 writes to C674, B1 to C675, A2 to C676, and B2 to C677.

The thumbwheels must be BCD, since that's the way the PLC is going to interpret the data.

Steve,

You are a God !

There is indeed C674 et al, in the program.

I'm just going back to site now and popped on hoping someone had sussed it out.

You're a genius, I can't thank you enough.

Cheers mate!

:D

JT

Johnny T,

Your standards for bestowing god status are way too low. The same for your standards regarding genius. Glad I could help.

BTW, the product formerly known as the Series One is still available as the DL305 from Automation Direct. Manuals for the product line are posted at the automationdirect.com website.

Thanks Steve, I had a dealing with a DL305 a few weeks ago, didn't realise it was the same family. The customer now has a shiny new S7-312 where the Series One once was...

Cheers

JT