SLC 5/05 Remote I/O troubles

Geroge

Hey back again with another puzzle. Have a project at work involveing a AB SLC 5/05 in a 7 slot rack, in slot 4 is a 1747-SN. In the remote I/O station, though a couple of walls and 20 feet away, I have a 4 slot rack with a 1747-ASB in slot 0. The two are connected with standard blue hose shielded cable (White,Gray,Shield). Adapter module is set up for primary config, 56k bud, 1 word addressing, logical rack 0, group 2. The 4 slot rack has 1) 8 point DC isolated Input,and 1)8 point relay output. These set-ups are being used for PLC training. The final config would be one SLC 5/05 to 3 Remote I/O terminals.

Heres the ake, after 4 hours I have not managed to get one to recognize the existance of the other. The 1747-ASB persists with its "nco" code (no communications), while the 1747-SN blinks its "Scanner working correctly, no adapter found" code. I know I am merely missing the little command which allows me to get the 1747-SN to start talking to the adapter module and seeing the input and output modules attached to the Remote I/O station.

Again I have been up to my elbows in the 2) 200-300 page docs which go with these modules for the last 3 days. I need a fresh set of eyes. If you could point me in the right direction, a quick 10 steps quick and dirty setup, anything. Thankx in advance

I highly recommend that you post the RSS program file - and the precise settings of ALL 24 DIP switches on the ASB module ...

also ... do you have a "spare" PLC-5 processor available for testing? ... (please answer "yes" or "no") ... reason for asking: the PLC-5 is capable of doing an Auto-Configure for Remote I/O which might be handy in determining the actual setup of the remote chassis ... note that the SLC is not capable of this type of operation ...

quick question: have you tried reversing the positions of the connections at ONE end of the blue hose? ... specifically, try swapping the blue and the clear conductors ...

the conductor colors that you mentioned are not "standard" ... usually the shield/bare conductor goes in the middle - and the blue and the clear conductors go on the outside terminals ... technically you should have a "terminating" resistor at each end of the cable - but I've never seen that matter at all for an SLC system ...

also ... have you set up the "G Data" configuration for the SN module? ...

Last edited:
No PLC 5 for testing purposes

YOur right about the wires, checked notes. Blue, Clear, and bare. Termination RES installed as shown in ASB module manual.

SW1
1-6:eek:n; set logical rack to "0"
7:eek:n 8:eek:ff; set group to "2"

SW2
1:eek:n 2:eek:n; sets bud rate to 56K
3: reserved and not used
4:On; sets for primary configuration
5-8:On; sets ASB to 2 groups

SW3
1:On; holds last state
2:On; allows auto reset
3:Off; link time unrestricted
4:On; not last ch
5:eek:n 6:eek:ff; sets to 1-slot addressing
7:eek:n; for discrete transfer
8:eek:ff, check mode proceedure already complete

G-Data configured to look for a 1/4 rack on both group 0 and 2. The SN module is also setup for 56K bud rate on its dips.

Hope that helps dont have acess to the to the RSS file right now.

SW2

3: reserved and not used
4:On; sets for primary configuration

where are you getting the information for these settings? ... you've got at least two of them backwards ...

SW2-4 = reserved and not used (not SW2-3 as you posted) ...

SW2-3 = should be set OFF for COMPLEMENTARY (not for primary ... and yes, I know that sounds backwards) ...

suggestion: carefully recheck all of your settings and post them again – along with the RSS file ... sorry I don't have time to check out the rest - I'm out of time for tonight ... if this little bit doesn't help, we'll nail it down tomorrow ... (some other forum member will probably be along tonight and help you get things working) ...

good luck with your project ...

PS EDIT ... one more thing before I log out for tonight ... SW3-8 should be set ON for Save Mode ... you're not supposed to put it in Check Mode until it's actually working ...

Last edited:
I got the settings right from the 1747-um006_-en-p.pdf, which is the document for the 1747-ASB

I reviewed the settings again, and according to page 2-3 SW2-3 is reserved, and according to chapter 4 on config sw2-4 is reserved. Ill read into that a bit heavier tomorrow.

Also according to page 4-6 I have to have 2 ASB adapters to use complimentary mode, I only have 1. Is this untrue?

Thanks for your help so far

Complementary mode is very uncommon. An example would be when you had one chassis of Inputs and one chassis of Outputs, but they share the same Rack number.

Ron's right that the Complementary setting is strange; the one-rack normal setting is "Complementary" and the setting for when you're actually using complementary addressing is "Primary" and "Complementary".

You've identified a notorious misprint in the manual; the Chapter 4 description of SW2-3 and SW2-4 is correct, not the diagram in the Quick Start.

I think you'll want to set this adapter up to start at Group 00 and be 4 logical Groups.

Slot 00 ASB Adapter
Slot 01 Rack 00 Group 00
Slot 02 Rack 00 Group 01
Slot 03 Rack 00 Group 02
Slot 04 Rack 00 Group 03 (not physically present)

This means your G-file will be configured to look for one adapter: Rack 00, 1/2 Rack size.

Complementary mode is very uncommon. An example would be when you had one chassis of Inputs and one chassis of Outputs, but they share the same Rack number.

Ron's right that the Complementary setting is strange; the one-rack normal setting is "Complementary" and the setting for when you're actually using complementary addressing is "Primary" and "Complementary".

I think you'll want to set this adapter up to start at Group 00 and be 4 logical Groups.

Slot 00 ASB Adapter
Slot 01 Rack 00 Group 00
Slot 02 Rack 00 Group 01
Slot 03 Rack 00 Group 02
Slot 04 Rack 00 Group 03 (not physically present)

This means your G-file will be configured to look for one adapter: Rack 00, 1/2 Rack size.

I think I am getting what your saying. If you would clarify more on the Primary and complmentary settings. You seem to be saying the Complmentary settings is uncommon, does this mean the primary setting should remain? or should I switch the complmentary? Just need a little more clairification on that. Thanks alot. Any more information will help.

-G

first of all, in this project you are NOT using the Complementary mode ...

BUT ...

the chassis still needs to be set up as the "Complementary" chassis ...

the ONLY time that you would set up a remote chassis as the "Primary" chassis would be IF you WERE using the Complementary mode AND if the specific chassis in question happened to be the "Primary" chassis ...

so ...

if you're NOT using the Complementary mode, then just set the chassis up for "Complementary" and get on with your life ... (yes, I'm well aware that this sounds backwards ... just chalk it up to "company policy" and move on ... specifically, as with most "company policies" you don't need to agree with it – or understand it – you just need to DO it) ...

but ...

if you ARE using the Complementary mode, then ONE of the two chassis you're dealing with will be set up for "Complementary" and the OTHER chassis will be set up for "Primary" ...

Last edited:
ok I got that, use complimentary unless your actully useing complimentary then you need at least one adapter set to pirmary... yeah that does sound really screwed up. Ill give it a try here in a bit, and let you know. Thankx guys.

No ghost, still problems. I am some how not communicating between the scanner and the adapter. The scanner is configured correctly and is running. The Adapter seems to be configured correctly and is sitting there with the "noc" code telling me i am not connected to it. I can acess the Scanner image files of M0 and M1, neither respond to flipping the switches on the RIO chassi in the other room. Can anybody just tell me the steps for setting up a basic RIO system. I just need to make the two talk to one another to get started.

where is the program file? ...

how do you have all 24 of the switches on the ASB module set? ... tip: you don't have to tell us what the settings mean ... just nail down how you physically have each one of them set (ON or OFF) ...

have you tried swapping the blue and the clear conductors at ONE end of the blue hose? ...

how are DIP switches on the SN module set? ...

we can't see the system - so we only know what you tell us ... we can try to help by GUESSING - but not much more than that unless you tell us everything that's going on ...

suggestion: give me a call if you like ... I'm not teaching today so I've got some time to talk ... maybe we can work it out over the phone ...

hello everyone i'm an student making my practice in colombia

we have adquired one slc 5/05 plc allen bradley, we are working with the SCADA called P-CIM from afcon-inc, our boss wants to comunicate the plc and the PCIM using ethernet protocol.

once installed de right driver recomended at the page of afcon-inc, a network is stablished between all de data terminals units but the SCADA PCIM does not recognize the port and we don´t know why, i don´t know what to do, if there is anybody who can give any answer i´ll be very tanksfully :unsure::unsure::unsure:

please help!!!!!!👨🏻‍🏫👨🏻‍🏫👨🏻‍🏫👨🏻‍🏫 from this depends my life

Greetings jdlozanoj ...

you need to start a new thread and give it a descriptive title which mentions P-CIM and SLC-5/05 ...

you've posted your question in a thread which has nothing to do with your equipment – so the people who might be able to help you will probably never see your question ...

good luck with your project ...

In the end I got it. It was a combination of things. First is the 1/2 rack looking at logical rack zero with 4 groups instead of just 2. I have one Remote station talking to the PLC and it is working wonderfully. Now i just need to extend that to cover the additional two Remote stations. The big thing which was screwing with me was the blue conductor wasnt in the actul terminal on the SN module, it was merely pinched underneath it and there for not making contact. :oops:

My assumption is that the other stations will be variations on the first, simply changeing the Logical rack. I think...

If the final dip switch config was

SW1
1-6 on; Logical rack 0
7-off, 8-on; group 2

SW2
1+2 on; 56k bud rate
3-on; complimentary mode
4- reserved
5-7 on, 8 off; # groups 4

SW3

1-on; hold last state
2-on; auto reset
3-off; unrestricted link time
4-on; not last chassis
5-on, 6-off; 1 slot addressing
7-on; discrete mode
8-off; check proceedure completed, configuration saved and working

Thanks for all your help, Im glad this website is here its a good resource. I have learned that i may be able to program a plc to do almost anything, but when it comes to hardware I am no genius. Also that AB needs a little more work when it comes to technical writeing and instructions.

Thanks again all, for your sugestions and pacients

-G

congratulations! ... we're glad that you got it working ... here are just a few follow-up notes ...

the blue conductor wasnt in the actul terminal on the SN module

you probably already know this, but I've run into some people who don't – so I'll just mention it anyway ... the three blue hose "terminals" on the SN module (and the six "terminals" on the ASB modules) are actually located on PLUGS that can be removed from the front of the module for easy wiring ... specifically, you can just pull the plug out of its socket and do the wiring – then plug it back in ... I mention this because I've run into one or two cases where a field technician has made things very difficult on himself by connecting the "blue hose" without removing the plugs first ... this is sort of like building a boat in a bottle ... tedious – and it leads to poor connections ... like I said, you probably already know this – but some people don't ...

SW3

1-on; hold last state

you might want to rethink that particular setting ... first ask yourself what action you want your remote outputs to take if/when the blue hose cable to the remote chassis gets pulled loose, etc. ... the way you have it set now, any outputs that were ON when the communications are lost will STAY ON ... it's quite possible that's the operation that you really do want – but that would be a very rare case ... usually we want the outputs to turn OFF for safety reasons ...

Thanks for all your help, Im glad this website is here its a good resource.

we're all glad to help ... and all of us here owe a constant debt of gratitude to Phil – our forum administrator who makes all of this possible ...

AB needs a little more work when it comes to technical writeing and instructions.

the folks at Allen-Bradley are all human just like the rest of us – and we all make mistakes from time to time ... actually I was personally unaware of the misprint that you stumbled onto ... I usually work from an older copy of the ASB manual (1747-6.13 December 1996) and that one doesn't have the same misprint ... looks like you "lucked out" and got the "new-and-improved" version right off the AB website ...

again, congratulations on getting it working ...