Logix 5000 MSG/SSV

ltfordnr

OKIDOKI THEN,

logix5000 ver24
1769-L33ER (all will be this class)

this is for a "master" system, if you will, that would be used in different facilities with multiple pieces of equipment. each piece of equipment would have the same programming in it but different facilities would have different IP addressing.
The "master" PLC will also have the same programming in it from facility to facility.
The master will comm with all other equipment via Ethernet and MSG instructions. There are several MSG instructions per piece of equipment.
Each piece of equipment is programmed to allow the operator to change the individual IP addresses on each piece of equipment including the master.
Problem:
need to allow operators and service personnel to enter a desired IP address into 4 DINTs (one for each octet) (via HMI... no problem there)of the set IP addresses in each piece of equipment so that I can set the IP path in MSG instructions.
I need to find a way to combine the 4 separate octets for each IP address, subnet, gateway in 4 different DINTs and combine each one into an IP string or a HEX then using SSV write to each message the new IP path.

if anyone has done this before im all ears....

I dont think you will need 4 DINT for each IP, Subnet, and gateway...(12 DINT total)

I do something like this with 1 DINT for the IP of a device and 1 DINT for the Subnet.

I use a 4 BTDs. I use the first Nibble for ip 1, the second nibble for ip 2, 3rd nibble for ip 3, and 4th for ip 4.

BTD (1) BTD(2) BTD(3) BTD(4)
0000 0000 0000 0000 = DINT(Ip of 255.255.255.255 = -1)
IP#1 IP#2 IP#3 IP#4

Last edited:
something like below?
Concat_IP.png

Last edited:
I know that you can change the path of a MSG but I don't know if you can set an SSV to change the path of the controller...1756-RM003Q-EN-P page 256 shows controller path as GSV only...

I may not want to know, but what would you let every single person in the whole shop just pick whatever IP they wanted for any machine they wanted???

seems like that would be a data collection nightmare. Not to mention disaster recovery and other safeguards to protect against editing or changes (FT asset centre)

spence144db - this would not be for just one shop. this would be for a set of programs that would be used in many different facilities. the ability to change IP is only a commissioning activity. duplicate IP logic would be included (at least for the connected machines to the master collection and control PLC)the idea is to sell the same set up to multiple facilities and make it easy for initial commissioning for personnel who don't have the proper software etc...

BachPhi - thanks! i think I can work with that. i was looking at something like that to include in my little octet compare code. great minds think alike. i was thinking there might be another way but validation is like getting a logical boner