How to interface Modbus/TCP with SLC5/05?

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a SLC5/05 that's acting as the main MTU for our SCADA system. I need to bring in some data from an AutomationDirect CLICK PLC that supports Modbus/TCP. The data currently will only need to flow one direction: from the CLICK into the SLC5. However, in the future they might ask me to send data back to the CLICK, but it's not something they need right now.

I can modify the program of either PLC to either MSG Read from the SLC, or SEND from the CLICK.

Note that the Serial port of the SLC is already in use by another application, so it's unavailable.

I found some Modbus to AB Gateway devices, but I'm not sure what Ethernet protocol the SLC5/05 uses to send/receive data. I don't think it uses Ethernet/IP like CompactLogix, does it? My version of RSLogix500 does have the EEM instruction, but I don't know if the SLC supports it. Currently all data is sent or received with the MSG instruction.

I also have a Kinco HMI available, which is supposed to speak several different protocols, but again I'm not sure which protocol the SLC speaks.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Thanks @lfe for that link. I have been reading the manuals for my Kinco MT4532TE HMI unit, and it looks like it can copy data between Modbus and SLC/5 ethernet comms. I can set up either a Timer or Data Transfer in the HMI, which will copy a set of tags from one to the other.

The downside is that the HMI only supports certain N files (N7 - N15), as well as only F8 floating point file. However, for my purposes this is more than enough. And at about $300, the HMI is much cheaper than those Modbus gateways which seem to run around $800. At least I'll get the added benefit of a separate HMI to show what's up, although it's not really necessary.

Anyway, now I have to find a SLC5/05 that's not in use, so I can tinker with it.

Anyone else had experience using the Kinco HMIs to transfer data between two different PLC families?

I found the explicit messaging programming awkward (but that is just one man's opinion)

I am using the Prosoft Technology MVI46-MNET Modbus TCP/IP Client Server Network Interface Module for SLC
It installs in the rack.
Easy to set up, good manual, good Sample ladder logic.

I am communicating to a National Instruments device using modbus over ethernet.

The card is a bit pricey but worth it for my application.

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/P...lient-Server-Network-Interface-Module-for-SLC

Last edited:
Not all SLC 5/05 processors support Ethernet/IP. The early versions only supported ABEthernet which was a precursor to Ethernet/IP

Do you by any chance have a PC that is connected to the same network and on all the time? If so, it can be used to act as a communication bridge. I generally don't recommend this, but as a last resort, it works.

Thanks guys, I will look at both options. @Archie, What PC software do you recommend as a modbus bridge?

@Archie, What PC software do you recommend as a modbus bridge?
Is this a trick question? I would of course use AdvancedHMI, but I would suspect that any HMI/SCADA software that supports both SLC 5/05 and Modbus protocols simultaneously would be capable of acting as a bridge.

I like the red lion datastation for this type of thing. It is less aggravating than a prosoft card to setup... but the prosoft card is also robust.

@Archie - no it wasn't a trick question. :) I didn't realize Advanced HMI could do that. Good to know.