Using a 1734-IK with a CompactLogix 1769-L18ER

Cydog

Good Morning ,

I'm thinking of using a 1734-IK with a CompactLogix 1769-L18ER. Looking at the manual it looks like that it needs to be used with DeviceNet. I usually use a 1734 module and just add it in the tree in RS Logix 5000. Is there anything different about the 1734-IK ?

Also , what is your experience with the 842E Ethernet / IP encoder with the 1769-L18ER . Fairly easy to setup ? I have a 5/8" shaft and I took notice that I think they only go up to 1/2" . Not sure if I have room for a coupling .

Also , what is the difference between a 1 turn and multiturn encoder. I have a 1725 rpm motor and a 40:1 gearbox and I'm only traveling about 3 foot and making three things happen within these counts. Then I want to reset it to 0. I imagine the multiturn.

Thanks so much for your advice .

Question
What is the difference between single-turn absolute Rotary Encoder and multi-turn absolute Rotary Encoder?

Answer
Single-turn absolute rotary encoder is absolute position detection within one rotation to which the rotation angle is output in parallel as an absolute numerical value by the code of 2n, the position of the accumulation is not understood when rotating by two rotations or more.

Multi-turn absolute rotary encoder understands the position of the accumulation. A detection part of Multi-turn absolute is basically the same structure as single-turn absolute.

A part of an absolute signal of one rotation is used and the amount of the rotation is counted once a rotation by the counter installed internally, multi-turn data is output as an absolute code.

When POINT I/O was originally introduced, the DeviceNet adapter was the only way to use it, so many of the old user manuals include the details you need to use the modules directly on a DeviceNet network.

But they work fine with the POINTBus interface on the 1769-L1x CompactLogix controllers as well.

Remember that both the 1734-IK and the 842E encoders are counting devices; they can't participate in the Motion subsystem of a CompactLogix -"ERM" controller like the 842E-CM encoders can.

It's definitely worth doing the math ahead of time to determine what your "rollover" position is. You're describing a linear mechanism with a displacement of about 36 inches, so the missing factors are revs/inch of the mechanism and counts/rev of the encoder.

How precisely timed do the position-triggered events need to be ? What kind of outputs do you plan to actuate ?