RS Logix 5000 Licensing Question

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is a little convoluted but let me explain.

I have a customer that wants to use Control Logix on a job. Due to the nature of the relationship on this one, they will have to pay for the RS Logix 5000 software if they want me to use it.

Now they come back and say that their customer, who will ultimately take delivery of the machine, said that we could use their license to program the job. I can't imagine this is legal but wonder what others think.

Perhaps if they have a single license and they un-install it from their computer it might be legal? Or, if they have a site license and we do the work at their site it might be legal? (But that isn't happening because the machine is being built in Illinois and the end customer is in Missouri).

Looking for direction or anyone with experience in this.

Thanks

I son't see anything wrong with that, as long as the activation is the legal copy and not a bootleg. I just wrapped up an RSView32 job and they gave me their RSView32, PanelBuilder32 and RSLogix 500 while I did the development. Then I just gave it back to them upon delivery of the project.

Hi,
Had a situation similar to this a while back, Ended up using one of the customers Laptops loaded with the software needed with appropriate licences, They were happy as this reduced the total job cost. Perhaps it may be an option for you.

hope this helps

Steve

I think I'm going to hire a contractor to do the PLC program as there isn't time for me or my guys to learn something new. He has his own licensed copy of the software.

My point to my customer (the OEM) is that he will have no way to support his machine without a copy of the software for himself. I guess that is a risk he will have to decide that he wants to take or not. Regardless of what the end user says now, they will expect the builder to support the machine.

Its actually very common and I've done it several times.

Similar scenario: I've purchased the software and registered it with AB. When the project was over I called AB and let them know that I was transfering the license to the customer. Never a problem.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.

However, the original suggestion was that the end customer would send us their floppy activation disk for us to use. They even said we would have to keep the floppy in the drive so they were not intending to un-install the license from their machine. I'm sure that is not legal.

Further discussions have led to a license transfer to the OEM for the time period of the warranty. Seems like a lot of hassle to me. If I was the OEM I would have just ponied up the money and bought the software. I'm still not sure what will happen. I should find out tomorrow.

ndzied1 said:
That sounds perfectly reasonable.

However, the original suggestion was that the end customer would send us their floppy activation disk for us to use. They even said we would have to keep the floppy in the drive so they were not intending to un-install the license from their machine. I'm sure that is not legal.

Further discussions have led to a license transfer to the OEM for the time period of the warranty. Seems like a lot of hassle to me. If I was the OEM I would have just ponied up the money and bought the software. I'm still not sure what will happen. I should find out tomorrow.

The customer's assumption is incorrect that just having the activation floppy will allow you to use the software. The license has to be moved off the current machine, onto the disk, and then into the new target machine.

Otherwise the software reports that there is no license under which the program can run under.

Last edited:
Well I've never used RSLogix 5000 but in RSLogix 500, even if the activation was moved off of the floppy, you could use the program if the original floppy was in the drive when you started up RSL500. I've done it many times so I know this to be true.

ndzied1 said:
Well I've never used RSLogix 5000 but in RSLogix 500, even if the activation was moved off of the floppy, you could use the program if the original floppy was in the drive when you started up RSL500. I've done it many times so I know this to be true.

Then it would be a violation of the software license if its able to run concurrently in two machines.