Mapping Function Keys

t.frieday

I recently worked on a project that used a Micrologix 1400 and a Panelview 800 with F1-F4 buttons. I was able to link push buttons on the screens to each of the physical function buttons on the panel. I did this in CCW. I liked having the function buttons so the user could use them to navigate through the program and screens without using the touchscreen.

Now I am working on a project still using a Micrologix 1400, but with a larger Panelview 800 that doesn't have the function buttons on the panel. I am adding external momentary push buttons next to the Panelview and am monitoring their status as inputs to the Micrologix. Is there a way that I can map these inputs on the Micrologix as "Function Keys" in CCW?

Or if that's not possible, does anyone have any recommendations for how I can monitor what screen is currently displayed in my logic program so I can alter what the external function buttons do based on the screen that is currently displayed?

Thank you.

For this current project I am using the 2711R-T10T.
For the previous project that had the Function Buttons included was the 2711R-T4T.

I am using RSLogix500 9.05.01 (CPR 9) and Connected Components Workbench 8.00.00.

I'm not familiar with CCW, but if the Panelview can have a Normally Closed PB, put one on each screen to a different point, then have the PLC monitor which screens PB is on - as long as the PB opens when you go to another screen. If it does not open when you leave the screen then add a Unlatch after the check if it is on, and the Panelview will turn it right back on as long as it's still on that screen.

as far as i know, you cannot link external pb's to the panelview.

in the regular panelview terminals, you had screen control registers you could look at, the panelview component terminals have a general purpose rating and are not allowed in the places i have worked since they came out.

I would go the rout suggested by Aabeck, but use the n.o. contact and program different bits for each pushbutton.
That way, you can have hundreds of pb's with different addresses and not worry about what screen you are on.

james

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Just an update on what I was able to come up with;
Connected Components Workbench allows a "current screen" global variable to be linked to a tag in the MicroLogix ladder program. So I was able to monitor what screen was currently displayed and then have my push buttons function accordingly.
Whether the user pushes the button on the screen or the external push button would perform different actions based on what screen was currently displayed. These actions included changing what screen to display.
The only negative to having the screen display controlled outside of the panelview was I couldn't password lock a screen. So I had to create my own password screen using the panelview and ladder program.