Workarounds for reading bit arrays over MSGs

Dan123

I have a ControlLogix L65 controller, and I'm trying to read some alarm status information from a BMS gateway device. The problem is that this data is contained in a bit array, and you can't read BOOLs using MSGs. The only answers I've found are that the BOOLs on the source device must be converted to integer. It would be a considerable amount of hassle if I needed to modify the BMS device configuration (never worked with it, probably would impact other systems, and it's likely nobody at this site knows anything about the configuration of this device, so it'd be a whole thing), so I would very much prefer NOT having to do this. Is there any possible way to have the source element on a CIP Data Table Read be a bit array? I've tried writing to DINTs, but no matter how I address it I get the '2107' data type mismatch error.

There is no way to address a BOOL tag or element of a BOOL array with a MSG instruction in ControlLogix.

This is really a commercial decision; the number of customers who would code themselves into a corner by attempting to use one P/C Tag or MSG per bit is an order of magnitude higher than the number of customers who have un-changeable systems coded to use BOOL[x] arrays for external data access.

What make and model is the BMS system ? Is it a "Burner" Management System or a "Building" Management system ?

Yeah I understand the reasoning, I was just hoping to save myself some work. It's a building management system (or at least a component of it) -- connected to an SMC QuickServer. I'll be able to look through their documentation and figure it out, it's more the logistics of getting involved with this system that I wanted to avoid.