Communication between AB Control Logix and Koyo PLC

Forrest

Hi,

I didn't use AB Control Logix before and I would like to know can AB Control Logix communicate with other PLC (we are now using Koyo PLC) thro' Modbus TCP/IP? I heard that we need put a 3rd party Modbus TCP module to Control Logix, is it true? Thanks

Last edited:
The standard solution to add Modbus/TCP functionality to ControlLogix is the MVI56E-MNET module from Prosoft Technology.

There are a handful of standalone protocol gateways also available on the market; the HMS AnyBus devices are my favorite.

Thanks Ken,

That's meant we can connect Control Logix with MVI56E-MNET module and another PLC with MODBUS TCP module by a LAN cable directly.
Is it correct?

The standard solution to add Modbus/TCP functionality to ControlLogix is the MVI56E-MNET module from Prosoft Technology.

There are a handful of standalone protocol gateways also available on the market; the HMS AnyBus devices are my favorite.

Usually there is an Ethernet switch involved, but you can choose to connect module-to-module using a "crossover" Ethernet cable.

Hi there, question again...

In our design, there are 2 chassis with AB controller for redundant purpose and 1 I/O chassis. Should I need to buy 2 MODBUS TCP/IP modules and install in controller chassis or just to buy 1 modules and install it in I/O chassis?

Thanks again

oh... I am so surprised that this module costs me over US$2,000... I think I need to try other method...

Hi there, question again...

In our design, there are 2 chassis with AB controller for redundant purpose and 1 I/O chassis. Should I need to buy 2 MODBUS TCP/IP modules and install in controller chassis or just to buy 1 modules and install it in I/O chassis?

Thanks again

The Prosoft modules are the "safe bet" because they will handle 99% of the functions you throw at them and have the widest installed base and support.

If your application is cost-sensitive, check out some of the other suggestions.

I am posting this followup to mention that you cannot put any modules other than ControlLogix CPUs, ControlNet and EtherNet/IP modules, and the Redundancy modules into a Redundancy chassis.

Because Prosoft modules use backplane I/O connections, they cannot be placed in the Redundancy chassis with the controllers; you would have to place them in a remote chassis connected over ControlNet.

Also consider this issue: if the Redundant controllers switch over, the 1756-ENBT or -EN2T EtherNet/IP modules swap IP addresses. Until your Ethernet switches refresh their MAC ID tables, all connections to the Ethernet modules will be broken. What effect will that have on your Modbus connectivity or a standalone gateway device ? If you can wait for a TCP timeout or for whatever time it takes for the switches to rebuild their tables, you're OK. If not, you should consider a solution that does not rely on constant TCP connectivity to the ControlLogix.