Unable to edit online w RSLogix 5000

realolman

We got a new computer, and software a few mothes ago and have had plenty o' trouble with them.

I know I should be able to edit online with RSLogix 5000 but I am unable to do so.

Anyone know why this might be... I got on the Knowlegebase and the only thing I could find was something about the controller being in test edit mode.

I have had the same trouble with two controllers.

Do you have this problem all the time, or have you edited them on-line before?
I know if the key switch on the front of the prosessor is turned to the "run" position, you can't edit on-line. The key switch must be in the middle position "rem/run".

I know I should be able to edit online with RSLogix 5000 but I am unable to do so.

Call overheard....."Hi Dell, my laptop isn't working".

Details would be useful. Tell us what you are doing in detail, then tell us the result. Don't say an error message pops up, say what the error is!

OG

Call overheard....."Hi Dell, my laptop isn't working".

Details would be useful. Tell us what you are doing in detail, then tell us the result. Don't say an error message pops up, say what the error is!

OG
I think the "Hi Dell" crack is a bit over the top.

I should be able to edit ladder logic online and I am unable to do so. The Rockwell knowlegebase only said something about the controller being in test edits mode. The same thing happened on two different controllers.

There's not much more to it than that.

I start edits, do the edit, verify the rung, and the the only option available to me is cancel edits. Nothing else is enabled. No test edits or accept edits... only cancel edits.

Last edited:
That's good information.

If I was at Tech Support, my next questions would be:

What revision of RSLogix 5000 are you using ?

Is your license for Service Edition, Mini, Standard, or Professional ?

What firmware revision is in the controllers ?

How are you connected to the controllers: RS-232, ControlNet, Ethernet, DH+ ?

Can you edit some controllers, and not others ?

Check the keyswitch

Realolman

What position is the Keyswitch in? Very important information.

Do you have the window open at the bottom of your screen where errors are posted? It will probobly say something about what is wrong.

Is it properly licensed? The 7-day grace period mode will not let you do online edits.

Just a quick thought.

I start edits, do the edit, verify the rung, and the the only option available to me is cancel edits. Nothing else is enabled. No test edits or accept edits... only cancel edits.
Basic class lesson - all that you have done eg.
start edits, do the edit, verify the rung
will take place in the programming machine only.

The next stage is "Accept Edits", which will transfer your edits to the controller.

But you can only "Accept Edits" if all of these are true....

1. The controller is not in RUN mode (keyswitch over to the left). It needs to be in "Rem Run", "Rem Prog" or "Program",note the last two will "kill" your application, i.e. the controller stops execution and all outputs turned off (default).

2. The controller is not "locked" by another person currently online (check this by selecting the "Edits" mode on the online toolbar).

3. A previous editing session has not left the edits in "Test Edits" mode.

One of the above must be preventing "Accept Edits" function.

If in Test Edits mode - WARNING ! - switching back to "Untest Edits", so that you can accept your edits, will temporarily undo the edits that were on test - you should find out where they are?, what they do?, can they be assembled?, can they be "Untested" etc. etc.

If you have edits "on test", and cannot find the reason why, then most likely the safest thing to do is to "Assemble" them, i.e. make them a permanent part of the code - after all the system has been running with those edits in place, albeit "on test".

Last edited:

See now THAT is the type of information that starts us down the road to getting your problem solved. Lets see if we can find out just a little more. As asked above. What do you see on this toolbar?

RSLogix5000OnlineToolbar.JPG

When 5000 installed on the PC who did it? You may want look into that. There is a check box that will not allow Edits.

I do this on the sparkies that can't spell PLC. We had several that forced thing and went home several weeks later when the product got to the cusomer we relized that it was bad.

Can you edit the other 2 that you had problems with? What kind of problems did you have? What type of PLC 5, 500, 5000

When 5000 installed on the PC who did it? You may want look into that. There is a check box that will not allow Edits.

Where do I find this?

That sounds quite likely considering all the other problems we have had with this software / computer "upgrade".

Never had the problem on the old computer.

Is there any reason you are not answering the above questions? The guys tha are asking questions trying to help you out. If you don't answer the questions it is like telling a mechanic my car is broke can you fix it without touching it.

realolman

What is the position of the key switch on the controller? Several people have asked, but I didn't see where you answered.