Multiple Processors

LRC

I have my laptop setup to communicate with and AB Micro Logix 1000.
I also want to communicate with a AB 5/03 processor. Will I be able to do this useing the same serial port on my computer or will I have to reconfigure drivers? I would like to just jump back and forth between processors on the plant floor with out having to make alot of changes other than cables. The Question I am asking is will my laptop recognize the processor I am trying to communicate with? and if so will it make the changes for me. I have RS logix and RS linx lite installed.

You dont have to change driver to switch between ML1000 and SLC5/03.
The standard ML1000 supports DF1 protocol only.
The CH0 on the SLC5/03 supports DF1, DH485 and ASCII protocols.

You have to select DF1 and match the varius settings (baud rate, parity, stop bits) on both processors so they are the same.
In RSLinx you will have to configure a driver as "DF1 device" and choose "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView" in the settings for the driver.

Only snag is that you will have to switch cables as the serial ports on the ML1000 and the SLC5/03 are not the same.

If the ML1000 supports both DF1 and DH485 protocols (I think later revisions do), then an alternative would be to set up a DH485 network.
This would allow you to program both PLCs remotely, even without having to change any cables when you switch PLC.