SEW Eurodrive & HMI choice?

kvogel

Has anyone here sucessfully used a 3rd party HMI with a SEW Eurodrive MoviPLC? I am trying to develop a sytem using MovidriveB inverters and a Movi-PLC (DHR 21B) and and have had no luck with either of my two go to HMI's (Idec & Weintek) being able to connect via Modbus TCP. It appears that the SEW modbus supports only function codes 3, 16 & 23 and the HMI's are using different FC's to read & write (3 & 10)

If you have used an HMI with an SEW PLC then I would greatly appreciate a recomendation (but only if you know it works)

The PLC also supports EthernetIP but I havn't looked to see it either of my HMI's have a compatible driver yet. That's on the plan for next week.

Thanks in advance

Ken

3 & 10 sound like Hex... 0x03 is the same in hex and decimal but 0x10 = 16decimal , for Modbus function code 16 (write multiple registers, per the spec http://www.modbus.org/docs/Modbus_Application_Protocol_V1_1b3.pdf). I think I played with some SEW hardware on CAN a while back so I am of no help, except to note that those function codes look OK from here (far, far, away). Do you have a Wireshark trace to see what is happening? It cuts the problem in half - if the queries are issued we can look at the response and see if there is an error. Also sometimes devices require specific UnitIDs. If you are using 255, maybe try something else, like 0? Also watch for the off-by-one register selection.

Robert,

Thanks for your tip on wireshark. This is a must have tool for any communication troubleshooting.

One of the manuals wasn't clear in it's use of decimal and hex designations, so I missed that there was a base difference

SEW uses an odd protocol for the process data exchange via modbus. Unless I'm missing something, the read and write reference code must always be 4 and the 64 registers are accessed by their respective place in the data word mapping.

If I change the modbus register address the communications fails, but I can write a script in the HMI to properly load the data table and exchange up to 64 words.

Thanks again

Ken