Siemens TP 270-10 Screen

PLucas

I have had a certain project(s) that have been running for a year or so, due to the initial high costs of this project, it was decided to spread it over a number of financial years (budget costs ect!). Anyway when I first started the project I specified a Siemens TP 27-10 touch screen, now a year and half down the line, I asked our stores manager to purchase the last 2 units required. He came back to me and said that the price for the TP 27-10's has risen by nearly £1000! But our local supplier stated that we can now get the 'newer' TP 270-10 for the price of the old TP 27-10 before the price hike!
This I agreed to, ok it meant I had to re-write the 'screens' and change a little of the original configuratioon, but that was not a problem.
Today the screens arrived in our stores, I promptly 'nicked' one and took it up to my office to play with it. After several attempts to establish communications between the screen and my PG720 via serial link I gave up on that and set up comms via MPI, this worked, so I tried to download my project to the screen. The download went swimmingly until it got to file number 54 of 54, then I got a message box pop up telling me "Internal error", that was the end of the download. I had a fiddle with the memory settings on the screen and tried again, all to no avail. By this time I was pulling my hair out, (plus it was past my time to leave work!), I have searched the Siemens support web site and found no help, I have read and reread the TP270 manual (which I downloaded from the siemens site as soon as I found out that I would be using these screens) again I found no help in there.

I am obviously missing something here, so out of desperation I turn to you guys for assistance. Hopefully someone will say:- "Paul, do blah blah blah and it should work".

Any ideas?

Paul

P.S Sorry for waffling on, but I like to give a bit of background information when possible.

Hello Paul;

You've given us many solutions to our questions, over the years.
Our turn to help you out.

Hopefully someone will say:- "Paul, do blah blah blah and it should work".

So:
Paul, do a conversion from a TP 27-10 format to a TP270-10 format and it should work!

Try this:
With your Protool project open, go to menu File, Convert, Start; a drop-down list of available conversion formats will appear; choose TP 270-10, and conversion will start. You will be asked for a directory path to save the new project, and an error window in Protool will show you where the converter has trouble (often functions specific to graphics-based formats will not convert to Windows-based machines: you will have to reprogram these in the new project). Check the screens where the errors appear, use the TP270-10 functions to reprogram those screens, and you should be OK.

Basically this should solve your problem.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Daniel

Thank you for your reply,

Your response got me to thinking that maybe you have thought that I tried to download a TP 27 project, sadly that is not the case. I have re-written (and improved) the project for the TP 270. It is a genuine TP 270 project that I am trying to download.

One of the new functions I have added is to store the schematics on the screen as graphics (30 pages!), Protool simulator, doesn't show these drawings that well, so I wanted to see what they looked like on a genuine screen before I deleted them out of the project, could these be causing a problem? I could probably answer that myself tomorrow at work by just configuring 1 screen with a couple of tags and try downloading that.

Keep coming up with the suggestions though.

Paul

The older TP27 had an RMOS operating system and the new 270's and 370's are WinCE. What you could try is under "EDIT" "Restore Symbols". Sometimes the tags get out of whack with the display and you get compile errors. You may try to Flash the display with your version of firmware. This usually works. Under "Protool" "Utility""Prosave""Images""MP270" and run PTUPDATE.

Paul,

I have had problems downloading projects that utilize more than 50% of the available memory. The various Win CE dlls download fine, but it stops somewhere in the final download of the application file. Appaerantly there is a limit on how much memory the OP can keep temporary before writing to flash. This was on an OP170B, but maybe the same holds true with a OP270.
Workaround: Create a very simple project that holds a few tags and screens, and download this first. When downloading the real application, the necessary dlls will be present on the OP allready and will not be downloaded.

About serial download:
Are you using a nullmodem cable (crossed wires) ?
Are you connecting to the serial port marked "config" ?

About price of the new OPs:
You should compare TP270-6 with TP27-6 (+15% price).
The TP/OP270-10 compares to the TP/OP37 (-30% price).
I think that the TP/OP270-10 is great value for the price. You get colors, VGA size display, much better graphics capability, more memory etc.
The only downer with these new CE based panels is the delay when changing screens, the older panels were much snappier in this respect.

Last edited:
Hello
Does the TP has the latest firmware? I used TP170B a while ago, but i first had to upgrade this one with new firmware versions.

Jesper

Hopefully, you have hit the nail on the head, I wondered about the availiable memory, which is why I had a 'fiddle' with it, as I stated in my first post. I also stated in my post last night that this morning I would configure just 1 screen with a few tags and try and download that, if you are right, then that should 'kick' this screen into life.

I agree with you about the value of the TP 270-10, What I have seen so far (while programming with protool) I have been impressed and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the beast. We wasn't worried about the price, only the fact that the TP 27-10's had gone up steeply which is why I went for the TP 270-10. The total cost of the project is in the region of £100k, with six to do in total, hence the splitting up of the project into two a year. I have been dealing with the PLC side of the project and parts cost for that is around £10k, to save £1000 on the cost doesn't seem much in the big picture, but that is £1000 out of our budget that I can spend elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply, I will give that a go later on today and let you know how I get on.

Jarno,

I sincerely hope that the TP has the latest firmware as the screen is brand new.

Paul

PLucas said:
I sincerely hope that the TP has the latest firmware as the screen is brand new.

"Brand new" doesn't always mean "recently assembled", Paul. You don't know how long it has been sitting on the distrubutor's shelf (and Siemen's shelf before shipping to the distributor).

I have found quite often that "brand new" stuff doesn't have the latest firmware. Do yourself a favor (er, favour?... ;)) and check.

beerchug

-Eric

Last edited:
Jesper

"You're the MAN!!!" (y)

I downloaded a simple project consisting of 1 screen and 4 tags, that worked OK, I then downloaded the correct project and we are now 'cooking with gas!'

Thank You.

Also thanks to Daniel, suprisingly I have never noticed the 'convert' option, let alone used it, then again I haven't had any need to.

Cheers Guys beerchug

Paul

P.S The schematics I stored onboard look S***, I will have to have a rethink on them, or adjust their resolution.

TP 270 Siemens Touch Panel Communication

I have Siemens PG M2 and I try to connect TP 270 touch Panel using Win CC flexible Software by serial and by MPI cables but all attempt are failed. ( I set Transfer at touch Panel also). I need your help guys regarding this communication issue. Please advice me how to make communication between PG M2 and TP 270?

I have Siemens PG M2 and I try to connect TP 270 touch Panel using Win CC flexible Software by serial and by MPI cables but all attempt are failed. ( I set Transfer at touch Panel also). I need your help guys regarding this communication issue. Please advice me how to make communication between PG M2 and TP 270?

sometimes you have to enable the com port on the screen itself by the wince config menu etc

you also need to check the firmware to match both side or doing an os update

if you run an old version of wincc flex the error message is not always clear on the solution but with the new 2008 SP1 htf3 you will solve many issues...and pop up when the os isn't compatible