Visual Basic

Steve Meisel

I am thinking about taking a Visual Basic programming class this fall at our local community college. The class is only offered as a on-line class. The class only meets 3 times the whole semester: orientation, mid-terms, and finals. Homework is to be e-mailed to the instructor.
We have several machines that use VB and I have had no experience working with it.
Is this a class that should be taken in a real classroom with a real live instructor or will the on-line classes do ok?

I don't think it's possible to answer that question with anything but 'it depends'.

It depends on what sort of mechanism will be set up for you to have your questions answered. Will the instructor be available at specified times on something like Instant Messenger, or will you have to email questions and wait for a response? Will you have access to questions posed by the rest of the students and the answers? Many of you will have the same questions, and the instructor will get tired of answering them repeatedly.

It depends on how you, Steve Meisel, learn. Do you learn best alone or in a group. An online course is going to have a bias towards solo learning. If you learn better by brainstorming problems in a group, you may have difficulties. For some people, the act of taking notes in class is a method of learning, for others, taking notes is a distraction. Some people can get the information they need by reading the textbook and never have to show up in class.

It depends on how much previous programming experience you have. If this is going to be totally new, you may find yourself lost without a compass. That's when the ability to make an appointment with the instructor for some one-on-one help can be a lifesaver. Will you be able to schedule an appointment with the instructor if you find it necessary?

It depends on your self discipline. The possibility of being embarrassed in front of your peers can be a strong motivation to do your homework on time in a conventional classroom setting. Nobody but you and the instructor will know if you don't submit your homework in this course. Is that enough incentive for you?

I don't think there are any subjects that can't be taught in an online course, but there are certainly people for whom an online course is simply not viable. The same can be said of conventional classroom courses.

Steve if you want a starter package to see if learning alone will work for you then goto any major bookstore and buy a Learning VB book. There are plenty to choose from and they have a limited learning edition of VB6 or VB.NET included on cd rom. This is a simple and cheap way to begin and see how it works.