FTView ME - Data Log problem

pembuk

Hi All,

I have a litle problem with displaying data from Data Log Model using Trend.
I had made a DataLog model with three Tags from PLC, the Data logging option is selected in Startup. In Trend Object options, in Pens window I had selected a created DataLog Model.I had no selected any connections in Trend Object options. What else need I to do to correctly display Data from Data Log Model in Trend object. At this time Trend Object is displaying nothing :) Do I need to select some connections between pens and Tags?

Really sorry for my English.

Yes, you need to Connect each Pen to a Tag.

Because those Tags are in the Data Log Model, they will display both current and past values in the Trend object.

The Trend object can also display live data only, by connecting each Pen to a Tag, but without specifying the Data Log Model.

Thanks for quick reply.
I did what you had wrote, but it stil doesn't works. Ofcourse the Trend is displayed correctly but life data only. And when I close a Trend window and open again it start draw again from this time with no acces to past data of specified Tags.
Would you like to check configuration of my application? I can send it to you as .apa file saved in FTView ME 5.10.

Best regards

Thanks for quick reply.
I did what you had wrote, but it stil doesn't works. Ofcourse the Trend is displayed correctly but life data only. And when I close a Trend window and open again it start draw again from this time with no acces to past data of specified Tags.
Would you like to check configuration of my application? I can send it to you as .apa file saved in FTView ME 5.10.

Best regards

It's good ol' FactoryTalk View Studio...:mad:
Create a new runtime file and, prior to downloading, check the "Delete Log Files" option...
According to RA TechConnect Support, the communications timing for FTVS 5.1 causes "invalid data" to be introduced within a currently running terminal data log.
When this happens, upon the restart of the ME application,you will be able to "see" only live data...
Apparently this issue has been solved with the release of Rev.6.0.

Apparently this issue has been solved with the release of Rev.6.0.
I don't know, I think the "opportunity for improvement" still exists in FT 6.0 also. I had a very similar issue last week and when talking to Tech support they mentioned yet another "opportunity for improvement" in the new PV+ depending on the firmware revision you had that could cause this issue.

Good Luck

We have had a lot of problems using the trend in 5.10 and 6.00, all those problems disappear in 6.10
When you download and you mark “delete log files” is working then?
At least to next boot up?
With older firmware we newer has this problems, but with some of the late 5.10 and 6.00 firmware, we more or less have this problem every time. I am not 100 % sure when this problem started, because we don’t use trend in all our projects.
I think it is an unfortunate combination of software, firmware and our projects request.
We have been in contact with hotline several times without any lock, but Rockwell has unofficial admitted that they have a problem, but have no solution.

If it newer works even after download as described above, I think you this is not your problem.
Every times we have this problem is has been in Panelview 1000 Plus, but this is also the panel we use most.

Be aware that all panels who starts with 6. is another hardware than panels who starts with 5. you can not use firmware from 6. to 5. panels and vice versa

Last edited:
Hallo again,

In my case Trend Object works the same as marked and unmarked "delete Log file" option.
Every time I can only see Live data in Trend Object or Past Data but only when Panel with Trend Object active is ( I have no sure where the past data saved is. Maybe in Data Log or in Trend Object.)
I'm useing FTView 6.0 but Panel has 5.10 firmware so The Runtime application is also saved as 5.10 ver.
I would like to use The Data Log with The Trend Object to have a possibility to see past value of selected signals. That could be helpfull for check what hapened with machine in the past and what was real reason of problems.
This is not necessary of course :)

Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible that this is a configuration problem, and it is possible that it is a firmware problem.

It sounds similar to a bug that has been widely experienced in PanelView Plus terminals regarding a failure of the Data Log Model to access controller tag data.

A firm diagnosis can be made in two ways:

1. Check the FactoryTalk Diagnostic Log on the PanelView Plus. If it includes error messages immediately on startup that refer to unavailability of the Tags in your Data Log Model, then you probably have the firmware bug.

There will be a set of Warning messages referring to each tag in the Data Log Model, saying that the "Item could not be resolved". Next there will be a set of Error messages referring to each of those tags, with the description "Invalid Tag Type".

2. Run the application on your development PC. If the same error messages do not appear, and historical data is retained when you switch between screens, then you probably have the firmware bug.

I encountered this issue on PanelView Plus 1000 terminals running 5.10.06 firmware. We installed 5.10.03 firmware on all those panels and have been running successfully for almost a year.

If you had not properly configured the Data Log model, you would have the same symptoms, so don't jump to the conclusion that you are experiencing a firmware bug until you have carefully performed and tested the configuration of the Data Log Model.

[EDIT] Added error message description text and corrected firmware revisions; 5.10.06 had this problem, while 5.10.03 did not.

Last edited:
Did you manage to solve your problem?

I'm having similar headaches at the moment with a new Panelview Plus 6 running FW6.1.

I have the data log model and trend all up and running, but whenever I create a new run-ime (which happens multiple times a week at the moment as we are still in the commissioning stage), I seem to lose historical data logging capability on some or all of my pens/tags.

The data log is being stored on the PVP's internal memory, and I've been trying to keep the name of the runtime files the same, as I believe that the data log is named after the runtime, so that if you create a new runtime using a new name, it creates a new data log.

I've still been having random problems though, and it's starting to give me the *****. Sometimes I can update the runtime and everything is fine, sometimes I'll have to delete the logs to get all pens working properly again.

Is there a best practice or procedure in dealing with data logs and new/updated runtimes?

Is it better practice to store the data logs on a CF card or network location, or will it not make any difference?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I feel that any advice may also be quite helpful for the OP.

When I spoke with RA they mentioned and had me check my firmware version on the PV+. I think the newer version contains an issue. I had like 6.0x.xx and they said mine "should" be ok because it wasn't the newest version.

Hope this helps

Create a diagnostic screen with the FactoryTalk View Diagnostic log on it, and check it after bootup of the application file.

What you are looking for is the set of Warnings and Errors I described above. These were conclusive indicators of a known bug in firmware 5.10.06 that caused the Data Log Model to not run on the terminal.

Because RA did not provide an official designation or acknowledgement of the bug I experienced, I am not comfortable saying "that must be it" for any circumstances other than the specific ones I experienced and documented. They may have an official designation for the issue or an understanding of which firmware revisions exhibit the problem, but I am not aware of it.

Three additional datapoints about my experience:

1. The data log model ran correctly on our development computers. I experienced this with projects built in FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0 and 6.10.

2. The data log model failed every time on the PanelView Plus terminals with version 5.10.06 firmware, and never failed on the terminals with 5.10.00 or 5.10.03 firmware.

3. Performing datalogging to a remote PC did not change the behavior of the Data Log Model. I prefer to perform datalogging to the local CF or SD card, as my experience with past firmware is that a broken network connection does not reliably reconnect to a remote data log.

My PV+6 is running firmware 6.10.XX

From what I remember, I checked the diagnostics and didn't see any errors or warnings related to tags I had in the data log model.

I'm back on-site so I'll double check again today.

Thanks for the advice.

Brendan,
Did you find what was causing your issue, I have the same thing, same firmware and everything, happening to me while starting up a new system.

Thanks for the help

Brendan,
Did you find what was causing your issue, I have the same thing, same firmware and everything, happening to me while starting up a new system.

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Pretty sure in the end it was down to running out of space to create the data log files after changing the runtime name.

For example if I had a runtime name called Runtime_2013_09_03, then a month later decided to update the runtime and called it Runtime_2013_10_03, then sometimes it wouldn't recreate the datalog files for historical trending.

I had to check the "Delete data log files" when transferring the runtime over, then it would work correctly.

From memory there was also a patch update that contained a fix for some datalogging issues in FW6.1 - so make sure you're running the latest patch too.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278683/related/1

I am having the same issues with FTView 7.0 (ver 8.0 on design PC and 7.0 runtime).

I have tried all the above with no resolve. Data fails to retain when switching pages. Switching pages on design platform also does not retain data.

Datalog created and started on startup with no diagnostic alarms. Deleted log files on download. Nada.

On a positive note.. switching to version 8 fixed my isolated graphing issues!

Using Panelview plus 6 1250.

Anything come to mind?