Sensor wiring

benlomond66

A bit more than a test, but here it goes.

I have a micrologix 1200 with an analog in/out expansion module that I'm trying to wire an Automationdirect provided ultrasonic sensor. The sensor outputs 4-20 ma, I believe it is a three-wire sensor with shield +,-, analog I.

Terminal Block Layout
V out 1
V out 0
IN 1 +
IN 0 +
I out 1
I out 0
IN 1 -
IN 0 -
COM
COM Commons connected
internally

Thanks for any help!

Since it's not my job, I'm not inclined to work out what you 'guess' the wiring terminals are. But, if you put screen shots of the two (you can post screen shots to postimage.org and get a URL to use for this forum), lots of people are likely to chime in.

Well since I'm not inclined to to **** from snooty strangers at a forum specifically created to milk the common goods of knowledge. ...

**** off.

Thanks

That attitude never works with me. I'm old school, Navy vet willing to help any and all.

Arrogance is a real turn off for me.

Whatever, the world if full of the ignorance.

IN0+ and IN0- are the terminals for channel zero input. IN1+ and IN1- are the terminals for channel one input.
It would be helpful if you identified the Automation Direct sensor or provided a link to the datasheet for it. Without it, anyone trying to help you is forced to guess at the meaning of the terminal designations you've identified.
It would also be helpful if the guy with fewer than ten posts was a little less inclined to take offense at the response from the guy with more than 2600 posts.

I dig it

Appreciate your input even though I thoroughly got what was intuitively obvious to the casual observer.

And for sure I might have been less inclined to take offense with the 2600 hundred post guy if I wasn't so sensitive to douche bags.

It is clear I need not be in these parts given the proclivity to hierarchy here.

Please carry on with your inner circle jerk without me.

Appreciate your input even though I thoroughly got what was intuitively obvious to the casual observer.

And for sure I might have been less inclined to take offense with the 2600 hundred post guy if I wasn't so sensitive to douche bags.

It is clear I need not be in these parts given the proclivity to hierarchy here.

Please carry on with your inner circle jerk without me.

Well, that was informative and fun.

OK, here's where the OP identified his sensor. Its also the thread where he complains that he can't seem to find the correct Rockwell manual. Apparently, readers of this thread are supposed to be aware of the existence of the other.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=112970
And here's the datasheet for the ultrasonic sensor.
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/sensors/uk1a_insert.pdf
Here's the manual the OP couldn't locate for the Micrologix 1200 showing wiring for the analog in/out expansion module on page 3-27.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1762-um001_-en-p.pdf

I'd say you connect +24 VDC to the brown wire from the sensor (Pin 1 if its the model with the M12 plug). Connect 24 VDC minus to the blue wire (Pin 3 on the M12 plug). Connect the black wire from the sensor to the IN0+ (Channel 0) or IN1+ (Channel 1) on the analog module. Also connect 24 VDC minus the IN0- or IN1- terminal of the analog module.

If benlomond66 had been as willing to interpret danw's post as a suggestion to help us help him as he was willing to misinterpret the target of ASF's post....

You're a better man than me Steve, being willing to keep helping the guy out after that little dummy spit. He's already landed on my blocked list, not that he'll probably bother coming back. Apparently we care too much for hierarchy here. Who knew!

depending on the type of card you will need to measure the Voltage so you will need a resistor of 500 ohms to get 10 Volts IN.