shared tags in rs5000

plcam

i am working on a project where an existing compact logix plc is in place and we are installing a second one connected by ethernet. how do i control the tags in one plc from the other?

i have read about produce/consume tags but still don't understand, if i want to see the output of one plc in the other i just use a consume tag with that tag name and it will find it in the other plc?

The tag you need to be read has to be configured as Tag Type "Produced" within the originating CPU Tag Database and the tag you need to transfer data into has to be configured (identically spelled and of the same Data Type) as "Consumed" Tag Type within the "receiving" CPU Tag Database.
You cannot Produce/Consume "hardware defined"(I/O) tags. Like I have previously stated, you will have to create the tags to be transfered while you can simple code the relation between the actual I/O and the Produce/Consumed tags using ladder logic.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm011_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
You also cannot Produce/Consume Program tags, they must be Controller-scoped.

Configuring a tag to be Produced is easy (just set the number of consumers correctly), the producing controller simply throws the tag out onto the network.

Configuring a Consumed tag requires you to supply the name of the producer controller. In order to have a name, that controller must exist in the I/O configuration of the consumer controller. This is different to messaging, in which the CIP comms path can be specified without names, and there is no need to build the I/O configuration completely.

If you are Producing/Consuming UDT tags, then a recent addition (V19 I think), is that you can add a "Connection_Status" member to the tag. This gives good debugging info, because simply using a tag value without knowing it is being updated could be detrimental.

Last edited:
If you want to see the output in another PLC, Produce/Consume tags are not the route though. In your I/O configuration you can add the other PLCs I/O modules as Listen-Only.

Can't that be done with the CompactLogix? It's valid in the ControlLogix.

Technically that is also Produce/Consume.

OG

thanks

thank you all for the assistance on connecting two plc's this will be my first time doing this but thanks to everybody i think i have it fiqured out. will be trying to connect later in the week, thanks for the help!!