RSLogix 5000 moving program tags to control tags

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there an easy way to move Program Tags to Control Tags.
I know I can export and import tags, but can you import exported program tags into control tags?
What issues will happen in the logic when the program tags disappear, till I import them as control tags?

you will not be able to remove tags unless they are not used. The only way I know of is to Rename Program Tags. Add a Suffix to the Tag something like _NetNathan Do this in The Tag File itself (note:under the Edit Tab not the Moniter Tab). I always just use copy paste command. Click with the mouse at the end of the tag and paste. Changing Tags names in the tag file will change all uses in program. Same as if you do it on the property page.

So Export your existing Tags. Remove Identifier Row for Program Tags (if program and controller tags exist). Leave Identifiers for Controller Scope Tags.
In The Scope Column Remove Program Reference.
Then Add Suffix to Program Tags to Change in program files.
Next import original Tags names with Program Scope removed to Add these tags to Controller Scope.
After Tags Are Imported as Controller Tags Then open program and use Search and Replace To Remove The Suffix
(Search _NetNathan and Leave Replace blank )
Then Delete all Program Tags with Suffix. Not Easy but that's the only way I have come up with.

My desire is to use the tags in FactoryTalk View Studio for editing a PVPLus Compact 1000.
In the PanelView tag editor the only tags I have available are the existing Panelview tags and the Controller tags From the RSLogix 5000 Controllogix (which are pointed to in the RSLinx Communications Setup.

Personally I would keep tags "Program-Scoped" unless there is a specific reason why they should be accessible to all programs.

But if you have to move tags from program-scoped, to controller-scoped, then you can just copy-paste them from the program tag database to the controller tag database.

Once the copied tags exist in the Controller tag database, you can delete them in the program tag database.

Of course you can only do this offline, which will result in a complete download to the controller being needed.

I believe that if you prefix the PanelView tagname with the program tag database name... eg. Program:Tagname then it works, although can't test it out...

Last edited: